thirty-three

Aemond heard the news of King's Landing. That it had fallen the moment they left to deal with Harrenhal.

In public, in front of his council, he showed them anger and rage. Aemond left them to bicker about what to do next, to find out what allies they had and where. Daeron, maybe. Join with Lord Ormund's army and attack the capital.

In private, though, all Aemond could do was laugh. They truly had managed to force their hand. Draw them out of the city to take it.

He pulled the glittering dagger from its scabbard and flipped it between his fingers. "Well fought, princess."

And then Aemond heard the news of Naerys. Her becoming Rhaenyra's named heir in front of a crowd of Lords who vowed themselves to her. The thoughts crept back to him. Ones he pushed away each time they made an appearance.

If she had truly been using him to get to the throne. Something his mother brought up to him. After she was taken and unofficially declared heir.

Did she need him when she was named heir? Had it all truly been a clever ploy to get herself into the throne one way or another?

But he pushed them back again. Aemond reminded himself of their first night together. Before the way and succession. And his offer at Storm's End. She could have easily married him if it was her only goal.

Alicent was convinced Naerys would do what she did. Marry to get onto the throne.

But she had no need. Not when she was an heir in her own right.

They both had parts to play in their family's war.

Both were determined to keep the other safe. But neither knew it.

***

Things were quiet for a few weeks, a month. Two. Until there were finally developments.

Naerys was learning how to lead from Rhaenyra. The duties of a Queen, the things she had a say in. What concerned her and what could be left to lower members of her council.

She even began to train seriously again in the Training Yard. Naerys definitely needed the refresher. Besides, it took her mind off of things.

But the developments came swiftly.

First, that Prince Maelor had been killed by a mob. Prince Daeron burned Bitterbridge for it. They were marching for King's Landing and had to be dealt with.

Rhaenyra sent two of her dragonseeds to deal with it. The riders of Silverwing and the Cannibal. Fitting dragons to deal with Tessarion. She wouldn't risk Vermithor and Naerys if it was another surprise fight.

The next development, though, came later. That Ser Criston was taking his army south. The council theorized he was trying to join with Lord Ormund. If he was successful, that would pose a massive problem for King's Landing.

As well, word came that Aemond Targaryen was doing exactly what Naerys had done months earlier. Burned Lords who declared for the Blacks.

He was trying to provoke them, to have them send Naerys for him.

Instead, though, Daemon volunteered himself for the task. He and Nettles, the rider of Sheepstealer, would go to Maidenpool. There, they would begin to search for Vermithor.