Christmas Day

It was 03:47 when Robert looked at his phone, random chatter from down the hall had woken him up and he felt very disorientated, sure that it had only been about an hour since he first fell asleep. He looked to his right, making sure his wife was still there and saw that she was indeed fast asleep, 'God, she looks so beautiful' he thought to himself. He very gently got out of bed, making sure he didn't wake her, and headed towards his daughter's room. He stopped outside for just a minute to try and work out if it was just a dream she was having, because she might have just been mumbling in her sleep. From what he could hear though, She was telling Mr Floppy, her stuffed animal, a story about wanting to have a baby brother or sister. Although the story was warming his heart, he couldn't help but feel the pain and stinging in his eyes as they drooped from lack of sleep. He slowly opened her bedroom door and spoke softly so as not to startle her.

"Princessa, why aren't you asleep? Es muy temprano en la mañana. The sky's not awake yet." He whispered.

"Me too cited Daddy!"

"I know you're excited, but it's still night time and Santa won't come and deliver your presents unless you're asleep. Do you want to come and sleep with me and Mummy?" Robert asked, knowing full well Santa had already been and all of her presents were waiting for her downstairs.

"Yes pease." She said as she held out her arms to be carried, gripping on to Mr Floppy.

"Ok baby, we're going to go potty first though ok?"

"Ok."

Robert took her to the bathroom and then carried her in to their bedroom.

"You have to be quiet, Mummy is sleeping" He whispered and she nodded in reply, holding up a finger to her mouth.

He placed her gently on their bed and climbed in next to her. The slight movement of the mattress caused Andy to stir and Savannah froze as she realised she'd woken her up.

"Mmm Robert?" She mumbled.

"No me Mummy" Savannah replied.

"Mija" Andy whispered as she opened her arms up, too out of it to question why her daughter was lying in her bed. Savannah snuggled up in her Mum's embrace and they both fell back to sleep. Robert cuddled in to his girls, his arm draped over them both and he too drifted off.

-

"Daddy" Savannah whispered. "Daddy, sky wake now, we see Santa been?" Her voice a little louder.

"Shh, Mummy is still sleeping."

"No she's not" Andy muttered under her breath.

"Mummy! We see Santa been?!" Going from 0 to 100 really quickly, bursting with excitement now.

"Yes baby, we can go and see if Santa has been, but I need my Christmas hug first." She chuckled as Savannah jumped up and down on the bed. She launched herself straight on to Andy who caught her before she landed on her belly. After a quick cuddle, due to Savannah practically shaking with excitement she jumped back up and started to get off the bed.

Andy propped herself up on her elbow and looked at Robert who was watching his daughter with his wide, curious eyes. "Merry Christmas baby."

Robert looked at her and smiled. "Merry Christmas Beautiful." He leant forward and they shared a soft, loving kiss.

"Noo Daddy kiss me!" Savannah whined whilst breaking the two of them up.

"Daddy will always kiss you, but you have to share me with Mummy." He explained.

"Hey, don't you want me to kiss you too?" Andy asked her, a little sadness in her voice.

"Of course I do, Mummy!" She said as she puckered her lips and got a kiss from her Mum.