Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

<Sophia's POV>

It was my Father. I gasped in surprise. I wasn't expecting to see him.

"Dad!" Cora yelled in surprise.

His sea green eyes widened in shock at the sight of me standing next to Cora. An array of emotions crossed his face. Flickers of shock, relief, joy, and finally anger.

He looked older. His hair had hints of gray and he had a beard to my surprise. The crinkles by the corner of his eyes were more pronounced now. The most significant change was the laugh lines by his mouth. Overall he looked healthy and happy.

Maybe he has changed.

The three of us stood there frozen. It was Cora who finally reacted.

She reached out and grasped his hand, "Look Daddy, Sophie's alive. She's finally home. We found her."

His eyes were locked on mine as if he would look away for just a moment then I would disappear. I stood my ground and squished any thoughts of squirming under his gaze. I will show him that I'm not afraid anymore.

His eyes burned with fire fueled by anger, "She is no daughter of mine."

His cold words hurt me more then I would admit. My mask cracked a bit at his admission. It hurt to actually hear him admit that he didn't want me.

Cora gaped at him in shock and yelled at him, "How could you say that Dad? Just this morning you wished for Sophie and Mom to be here for my wedding day. Now here she is and you completely disrespect her!"

He gritted his teeth, "She doesn't deserve respect when she betrayed this family. She is a traitor," he bites out and speaks directly to me, "No child of mine would runaway like a coward."

I clamped my jaw and bit my lip to avoid breaking out into tears. I can't show any weakness.

"You don't believe that bullshit Dad! That's not true. What you asked of her was selfish and you know it! If I was in that situation, hell I would have runaway too! You can't blame her for wanting to be happy. It's what Mom would have wanted," Cora argued fiercely with Father, "Mom would have wanted us to be together on this day. I want us to be together today. I want my Dad and sister by my side on the happiest day of my life. So please for my sake, put this nonsense aside. This is all I want."

Father looked like he was considering her words, "Even if I do let her stay, then what would I tell the pack?"

"Who cares! I swear Dad, I won't go through with this wedding if I don't have Sophie by my side," threatened Cora.

"And Xander, what would he say?" Father tried to call her bluff.

"Xander would stand by my side," Cora said fiercely, "He would never abandon me."

Father stood there in thought for a few moments before he agreed, "Fine, if this is what you want."

Cora nodded, "This is what I want more than anything."

He looked over at me, "The moment the wedding is over expect to be interrogated."

"I wouldn't expect anything less," was my emotionless reply.

"Consider this a wedding present," he told Cora.

She smiled at Father radiantly, "Thank you Dad!" she hugged him. He smiled tenderly at her.

He never looked at me with tenderness before. I thought sadly looking at them.

The door burst open to reveal Sam. She was slightly out of breath and her cheeks were flushed.