(1944: Part 1) Allies

Hey, look who's in the house! Me, that's who!

Apologies for the one-day delay in getting this out. I took a weekend trip to LA to visit my dad's side of the family. We ate a lot of good food, went to the beach, played Cards Against Humanity...yeah, all that family bonding stuff. But I got back yesterday, and I'm determined to give you content!

So...countdown to D-Day begins now...

January 2, 1944

Britain

Italy carefully measured out the spices before dumping them in the bowl.

"What are you making?" a voice asked.

Italy turned to see Belarus. "Oh, some recipe my father taught me. It's my way of thanking the Allies for all they've done for me."

"Maybe I should make something..." Belarus pondered. "The Allies have been too good to me. My father used to say that Westerners are evil, but I don't see it."

Italy rolled his eyes. "Because he sees anything associated with capitalism as evil?"

"Exactly."

Italy chuckled. "Then why would he team up with the Allies? I would've thought he'd be too proud for that."

"Oh," the red-and-green satellite state became solemn. "For very personal reasons."

"Ah," the red-and-green country nodded. "I gotcha."

Belarus tapped her fingers against the counter. "America, I don't know what he did, but he made it so he and Father could speak without blowing up at each other. If that's possible, maybe capitalism isn't so bad."

"Here's the thing," Italy set down his measuring spoon. "Capitalism, communism? In the end, they're just amoral systems. Both have pros and cons. Both can be abused. Neither is better than the other. They benefit some people and screw others."

"You're very knowledgable," Belarus complimented.

"Thanks. With my father gone a lot, I had to do something to amuse myself. One of my reads was The Communist Manifesto."

"Really?"

"Sì. It was very interesting."

"Father got us started on it as soon as we could read," Belarus said.

"Oh. Well, you know what's ironic? Communism wouldn't even exist if it weren't for capitalism," Italy giggled.

Belarus laughed. "My father would have a brain aneurysm if he ever heard that."

"And what are you two doing?" New Zealand appeared at the doorway.

"I'm making dinner," Italy explained, holding up the bowl.

"And I'm distracting him!" Belarus exclaimed cheerfully, causing the other country to blush.

New Zealand grinned. "Aw! You're so sweet, Italy! But if you want to eat tonight, Bel, you better let him work."

"Oh, all right," Belarus dramatically placed her palm on her forehead. "I'm looking forward to tonight," she winked in his direction.

As she left, Italy started to hum to himself as he worked. But then he caught the entrende, and his flag grew red.

"Gesù Cristo..." he muttered, his heart thumping in his chest.

"She's a nice girl, isn't she?" New Zealand commented.

"Yes...she's nice to talk to..."

"I wonder if something's in the air, because she's the second of Soviet's daughters to click with someone."