unbury your darlings.

There are a lot of words to define Vera Kaplan: genius, recalcitrant, nosy, whimsical

Heroic isn't one of them.

A hero could save everyone in the end, they would surely muster the courage from within to swoop just in time. A coward hiding behind the shield of reason like her? What world are you living in?

Vera isn't a hero. She has lost everything in Racoon City's destruction simply because she was too late and too much of a wuss to act. It was out of her hands, she'd thought. I've aided the true heroes, they'll do something. It didn't matter she was a genius then, the knowledge had become a curse upon her and handcuffs on her wrists that had taken her wits away until the day disaster finally struck. The girl had been stripped down to a mute, defeated Cassandra of Troy, left all alone only to bury the corpses of her failure and with a graveyard in the back of her mind to visit for the future days to come.

She's molded her tragedy with her own hands instead of writing a better ending, and that's all Vera has been capable of her entire life. Her hands are her weapons, having given life to miracles of technology and lethally beautiful instruments you wouldn't believe were built to shed blood; they shape and let go, but never heal, never hold - never save.

Now, Vera knows how to take advantage of them, how to use her hands at something they are best at.

Now, Vera is the gravedigger. She visits before death does, just to tell it is coming. A noble hero's nature is to lull justice in like a fickle cat just as hers is to excavate the dirt to uncover long rotted carcasses in the gardens of those who deem innocents a life of the undead proper, and fashion them a gravestone of their own right next to the crumpled bodies they have tucked away six feet under, lost to the light forever.

It's the only way Vera knows (has learned) how to protect, no matter what methods she has to use, in spite of the phantom from her past she buries everywhere she goes to move on, who somehow comes back from dead every single time.

Leon Kennedy is the ghost and she is the house he haunts, and she happily lets him, all things considered. Vera doesn't know the difference between haunting and holding on.