Chapter 2 - Bonus Content - Alternate POV

Story Branch / Alternate POV

The following chapters are a short story from the POV of a very minor character named Will Oslen. He has NO impact on the plot of "The Night the Vampires Came," which was a stand-alone story. The following chapters are just for fun (like fanfiction). I've changed the POV to third-person just to present a clear divide between the following chapters and the main story of "The Night the Vampires Came."

Chapter 4 - Memories of the Beginning

- Will Oslen -

In Manna City, there once lived a boy who was afraid of vampires.

He grew up, married, and had children, but his fear never truly left him. Some would even say it became an obsession.

The boy was sixteen when his mother died. On a rainy day, she left him behind with none but his butler's son to keep him company. For years this boy lived in that old, decaying mansion with its secret graves and broken chandeliers. The boy always knew that within the river that ran through his family's properties laid the secret to eternal life.

His role would be to guard it and protect it from outsiders' greed.

But, the boy would choose an altogether different path.

He decided to drink from that river and invite others to do the same. He sold the waters and made a fortune. With that fortune, he won the love of a woman, and she gave him two sons — one of his blood and one whom he made his child through familiarity and proximity.

From some viewpoints, a crime committed for the sake of love could be forgiven. For who would choose a life of solitude and loneliness when so much existed outside the walls of his decaying home?

The life he created for himself by selling those secrets was certainly worth it, wasn't it?

Thus our story began on a day when this boy, from whose imagination came so much of the world's suffering, realized that his mother was a goddess. She had been reborn into a different body, into a life that the boy himself would not recognize. Rather than let her go, he wanted to know her, to reunite with his lost mother.

Much like his unwavering obsession with a certain English tutor's daughter, Oslen would desire a meeting with his deceased parent even if it would bring harm to the new life she had found for herself.

Thus, it would be on a rainy day in Windflower Springs that a memory within a girl of her lost child would be reborn.

And from a distance, the boy watched and waited, for a child knows that the love of a mother is the one unconditional gift the gods had deemed to give its mortal children.

He had other names before he became known as Will Oslen, but for the sake of the story here, Will Oslen he will remain.

At forty-three years of age, he was no longer a lonely, reckless boy wandering amid the ruins of an enchanted forest.

After he landed on a rocky ledge in the darkness of the gorge, Oslen wasn't sure how long he lingered there staring at the starless sky. There were never stars in Manna City, and certainly, there were none to commemorate the death of one like the man who created Tercel.

Yet, as the minutes drifted by, turning into hours, he didn't die. He laid there in the watery rocks, thick with that venom that would turn humans into monsters. He half expected the scent of his human blood mingling in that stream would attract the slithering demons to him like sharks to their prey.

Yet, no such company came.

Instead, as dawn approached, Oslen sat up and ripped the vest from under his clothes. Yes, it had been bulletproof. He hadn't even been aware that it had been sewn into his clothing. His chief of security had ordered it done without him even realizing it.