The library incident

After a few dozen minutes of the tour around Button house, men both fell into old routines. Not much had changed about Button house at its core, the house still retained some of the same features as it had during the war. Havers recognized the worn bedframes he'd slept on, the kitchen cabinets he'd secretly hide his own stash of coffee in for special occasions, and the giant mirrors scattered throughout the house- that now were nearly all damaged or cracked in some way or another. But even though he could recognize some elements of his time, he spotted newer items as well. The different kinds of radios and telephones, and even home-cinemas that The Captain had informed him were Home televisions. He'd even exclaimed in an offended horror that they broadcast The King's- Queen's speech on it now. How improper.

Once they completed the tour it was like they'd never been parted at all. So comfortably had they fallen back into routine and familiar conversations, that Havers would find himself surprised anytime he was reminded that it was in fact, not 1944 every time he walked past a piece of strange technology or modern invention he hadn't seen before.

"Don't worry Havers." He heard The Captain say from behind him. He turned his head from where he'd been staring at a laptop Mike had no doubt been using moments before. It was still left open on some google search about bolts- the hardware, not the runner.

"I know it must be strange. But you're a very capable man. One of the smartest people I know. I have no doubt you'll get the hang of it in no time." The Captain said, giving him a reassuring smile. William returned it gratefully.

"Thank you, Sir." he paused for a moment.
"I think I'll go find Alison now, I'll still need to thank her." He continued.

The Captain nodded.

"I can do it for you, if you'd like." He offered.
"Oh, thanks Captain, but I think I should thank her myself. This entire situation would have been a lot harder on me if she'd not shown me the kindness she has."

The Captain chuckled and straightened his back.

"Very well, goodnight then, Havers. I shall see you in the morning. He was silent for a moment, seemingly listening for something.
"Goodnight... Captain." He replied, watching his Captain turn around and walk into the dark hallway behind them, in the direction of his room. They'd walked by it earlier. His old office of course. The Captain had explained how it'd been converted into a bedroom years before, when Button house had been turned into a shelter for a few years following the end of the war, with all the extra housing needed for Jewish people returning from the concentration camps, who'd found themselves alone or homeless after the Blitz had destroyed their homes and they'd lost their families in the camps.

"It was heartbreaking." The Captain had muttered his eyes glazing over for a few seconds as he no doubt remembered the broken people who'd taken up shelter at the house at that time. And Havers could only imagine their pain.

He'd also said the room had been occupied first by other ghosts ("How many more are there?" William had exclaimed.) and then by the lady of the house up until her death, he'd finally managed to get it back after she finally kicked the bucket.

Havers turned around himself and made his way back to the main staircase, hissing as he suddenly got a headache. He steadied himself on the railing and waited for a few seconds, hoping for it to pass. Strange, he'd never had a lot of headaches. Maybe it was just the stress of the day, the information a bit too much to handle now that he was finally alone with his thoughts for a bit. After a few seconds it indeed passes, and after a few deep breaths he makes his way down the stairs, making his way to the only room where the light is still on. The Kitchen.