Chapter 29

"Do you have to go?"

Jayden hugged his mother's leg, making it difficult for her to walk away. "We just got here, Mama, I don't want you to go."

"My love," she said, scooping him up and resting him on her hip, "you will stay here with your Grandma Mary and your sister. You'll be a good boy. When we come back, Hayley and I will bring you something you've always wanted. Your papa, and your uncles and aunts. How does that sound?"

His eyes were as wide as saucers. "I get to meet them, too?"

"Yes. We'll be back before you know it. Until then, you listen to your grandmother, you be nice to your sister, and you keep that bracelet on, do you hear me?"

"Yes, Mama." He hugged her, almost not wanting to let go. "Love you."

"I love you too, my sweet little prince. Now, the Queen commands you go back inside and finish your lunch."

He saluted playfully and jumped back to the ground, sprinting into the house.

"Keep your guard up," said Mary once she'd made Hope follow after Jayden. "Stay moving. You smell trouble, you run. Those folks back there, they had plenty of life. What you need to do is stay alive for your little ones."

"Everything we do is for them," Hayley reminded her. "Come on, Ibeth. Let's get going."

Hayley drove them to Austin, where they were meeting with a woman named Keelin whose grandmother was a known Malraux wolf. Ibeth decided she'd be the one to approach Keelin. They didn't want to have to kidnap her, but they would if she caused any trouble. Ibeth hoped she'd be able to convince her to give up the venom willingly. After all, they only needed a little bit. It wouldn't take very long to extract.

They hid the truck with the Mikaelson coffins in an alleyway while Ibeth went into the bar Keelin was inside of, celebrating something with a group of women.

"Alright, ladies, do not slow down on me," Keelin urged. "Cheers!" They all took shots. "Ooh. I'm getting the next round. Just take a sec, pull yourselves together."

Ibeth approached her as she neared the bar. "Special day for you?" asked Ibeth casually after Keelin ordered more shots.

"Yeah," said Keelin, smiling at her. "I just finished my residency, which makes me an official ER doctor."

"Congratulations," said Ibeth. "Tough career. Why'd you pick medicine?"

"It's always fascinated me. I can handle those intense environments better than most. I was made for it."

"Ah, yes, some of us are just a lot better equipped to handle the blood and gore, everything unpredictable that happens in the ER, right?"

Keelin raised a brow. "You work in an ER?"

"No," said Ibeth calmly. "I've just been the Alpha of the Crescent Wolf Pack for the past nineteen years."

Immediately, her expression dropped. "How did you—?"

"I'm surprised you didn't recognize me as kin. It's okay. I'm not here to hurt you. I need a huge favor and I can reward you for it with anything you want. Help you pay off your student loans, whatever you need. Just give me five minutes outside to explain. Please."

Reluctantly, Keelin followed her outside. "You're the last Malraux wolf," started Ibeth once they had exited the bar. "Your venom is special and I need a bit of it for something very important that is dangerous to explain. I have on hand a device to extract your venom. It is painful, but it won't take very long to get the amount I need. After that you're free to go and within a matter of days I can get you whatever you ask for in return. Sound good to you?"