KOREAN CAR CHASES

CITY OF STARS.
04. ❛ korean car chases.

"IS THIS A CAR?" Aquaria asked as she inspected the vehicle's interior, "It's fascinating."

"You don't know what a car is?" Shuri furrowed her eyebrows and stole a quick glance at the girl before turning her eyes back to the road.

"We don't have them where I come from," Aquaria explained, and then suddenly upbeat rap music could be heard, and her eyes widened at how fast they were speeding past everything.

Nakia's brows furrowed, gripping the wheel tightly. "Which one is he in now?" They all looked, watching several identical vehicles speed down the street in a single line. They all turned onto a wider road, suddenly splitting off.

"They're trying to lose us," Okoye said huskily. Nakia frowned. "I'll take the right."

"I haven't been in the field in ages; this is amazing!" Aquaria laughed and accidentally gripped the handle a little too hard that it dented.

Shuri laughed as well before turning down an alley, "We'll take the other two! I see a shortcut."

Shuri chased after two SUVs, one of them holding Klaue. Driving into oncoming traffic, Shuri's grip on the artificial wheel tightened in fear. "We're not going to make it!"

"If T'Challa uses his claws to grab the street on the left, it'll turn the car, and we'll make it," Aquaria suggested, hoping the king heard her.

"Great idea, Aquaria! Keep going, Shuri!" T'Challa called back, flipping onto the side of the vehicle and driving his claws into the asphalt, tipping the car on two wheels.

And just as Aquaria predicted, the car turned in a tight arch, landing on the right street once more. T'Challa grunted, jumping back onto the hood.

Shuri cheered again and set her hand out to fist-bump Aquaria. T'Challa launched himself forward, landing on the back of the first SUV. A henchman from inside the car fired at T'Challa; the bullets just ricocheted off his suit and replaced it with a purple hue that only grew brighter and brighter.

"Do they know that nothing penetrates vibranium other than vibranium?" Aquaria commented and turned to Shuri.

"They're idiots." Shuri laughed.

T'Challa sliced open the car's roof, looking inside but not finding Klaue. T'Challa threw the driver onto the pavement before Shuri ran over him accidentally. "Hey, what was that?"

Aquaria's eyes widened, "Was that a-"

"Don't worry about it; you both are doing great." T'Challa encouraged, jumping back to the car as Shuri sped up.

Nakia sped down a highway, following an SUV closely. The henchmen fired at the car, but the bullets only bounced off without leaving a scratch.

Okoye narrowed her eyes, leaning back in her seat. "Guns...so primitive."

Aquaria's mouth fell slightly in awe as she looked at the purple and pink bridge they were approaching. Shuri turned to look at the star-struck girl with a large smile, "It's pretty, right?"

"Yeah." Aquaria nodded, still in awe.

Shuri and Aquaria watched as the men fired at the car continually, only for the bullets to seemingly pass through them. Shuri glanced up at the faux roof of her car. "Hey! Look at your suit. You've been taking bullets, charging it up with kinetic energy."

"Go around the truck," T'Challa commanded, and Shuri obeyed. He leaped onto the car's hood and used his built-up energy to launch the vehicle into the air. His body twisted, allowing him to flip up and over back onto Shuri's car.

"In ki'ichkelem yuum!" Aquaria exclaimed in shock and happiness.

Shuri furrowed her eyebrows at the language the girl spoke before playfully complimenting her brother, "Show off."

"There he is!" Nakia called out. The two women looked ahead to watch as Klaue's SUV came into sight. The bulky vehicle jumped down a bumpy street. "Hold tight!" Nakia called to the other two, quickly changing shifts, speeding up even faster.

The car jumped into the air, nearly flipping over.

They all watched as Klaue climbed out the window, aiming his fake arm at them. The arm split into two, revealing a hand cannon. He waited until the car jumped over a bump before firing.

The cannon crashed into the car, shattering it into pieces. From above, Okoye gasped as her spear slipped from her fingers. Reached out, she barely grasped onto it, landing on the crumpled piece of the hood. Driving her spear into the road, she slowed to a stop.

Nakia skidded to a stop as well beside Okoye, still gripping the wheel in her hands.

Nakia stood up as Okoye stepped off a scrap of metal. A car conveniently rolled up in front of them, stopping to reveal CIA Agent Everett Ross in the driver's seat. "Hop in! Put the spear..." his words faltered upon seeing Okoye's icy glare. "...in the trunk."

Meanwhile, Shuri expertly navigated through traffic, but T'Challa lost his patience, "Faster, Shuri."

"I'm going as fast as I can!" Shuri yelled back, frustration creeping up her neck.

Taking a sharp right, Aquaria's eyes blew wide when Klaue stuck out of the window with his arm cannon and fired it right at the car.

"No, no, no, no!" Shuri exclaimed as she tried to avoid the blast.

Aquaria's breathing picked up, and she did what she was trained to do. She put one hand over the other, almost like an open clam shape, and closed her eyes for a second. When her eyes opened again, a wall of water was in front of her and Shuri just as the blast hit the car.

Both girls fell to the floor, and Aquaria's focus was lost, so the water was dismantled and fell to the floor with a splash.

Shuri breathed heavily, and Aquaria got up, extending her hand out to the princess, "Come on. There's nothing more we could do."

Shuri accepted Aquaria's hand and stood up. She temporarily lost her balance and stepped a bit too close to Aquaria. Their hands were still being held together, neither wanting to let go.

Aquaria gulped and stared right into Shuri's dark, welcoming eyes. They were so close that Aquaria could feel the heat radiating off of Shuri's body, and her breath fanned against Aquaria's cheek.

Shuri cleared her throat and stepped back, making her way back toward the table she was previously sitting on. Her mind was all fuzzy, clouded with the way Aquaria's eyes went soft and the way she subconsciously licked her soft pink lips.

Aquaria's heartbeat sped up, and she, too, went back to the table Shuri was at, once again watching her tinker with the gauntlets. Neither of them spoke about their little interaction just a moment ago.