⚅Nine⚂

After exhausting every method I could find and looking through the available textbooks, I felt drained. There was nothing else I could do to help him and now I just had to wait until he woke up. Shelldon flew off to recharge, leaving me alone to watch over the genius. I hadn't heard anything from the guys (not that I would; I didn't have a phone and Donnie was presumed passed out so they had no reason to text him) so I was left to wait and wonder what went down on the surface. Hopefully they were doing a better job than me at helping Leo.

My eyes trailed to the floor where I spotted the katana I found earlier. I was still surprised Leo didn't bring it with him. I picked it up and delicately traced a pattern into the floor, hoping everything would turn out alright. Blue sparks danced along the end of the weapon and I gasped. With my movement ceasing, the sparks disappeared and I was left wondering if I did in fact see what I thought I saw. I dragged it in a circle on the floor and a blue line followed the blade's path. My eyes grew impossibly wider. How was this possible? Other than the fact I wasn't a Hamato and had no mystic powers, I was from another universe, I was just some random girl! But here I was, creating a portal.

A thought struck me then about how the mystic energy chose me or something. I still wasn't entirely sure how Leo ended up in my living room, but it didn't feel like random chance anymore. He appeared in my world because he needed space from his brothers and wanted somewhere safe he could go. What did that mean? I was pretty much harmless—unless we were including harmful words—so I suppose by default he was safe with me. I was from a whole other universe, so obviously it would give him space, but more than that it would give him an entirely different person with different experiences and perspectives to converse with.

So maybe I enjoyed sappy romance novels too much, but maybe the safety part meant I was supposed to be a shield from his troubles. I was meant to comfort him and help him through his self-doubts, be someone he could rely on that would always be there for him. He'd feel completely safe with me (at least that's what romance novels told me finding true love would be like). As for escape from his brothers, sure he had April and Casey, but nobody quite like me to give him reprieve from his family. I mean, April and Casey were practically family as is.

I stopped waving the sword around and sighed. Or maybe I was reading too much into mystic mumbo jumbo.

I stood and sliced the air like I'd seen Leo do, but only sparks popped off the end of the katana. Frowning, I tried again. Again the sparks flew. I tried different sword movements, watching each attempt sputter and disappear into failure. I didn't lose my resolve as I kept trying; Leo had taken the longest of his brothers to finally master his mystic weapon so I just needed to keep at it.

I don't know how long I spent swinging it around, but by the time I stopped my arms felt like noodles. I fell back into my seat next to Donnie and wiped the sweat from my brow, propping the katana on the wall next to me. I checked the turtle's pulse and counted his breaths, then examined my handiwork once again. The internet proved helpful, even if I did find several different websites saying completely different things.

Trying to avoid boredom, I wandered around Donnie's lab which connected to his room. He had plenty of different shells lined on the wall, his bo staff was leaned against the wall, and in the middle of the room amidst scattered parts and wires was his desk. On it sat a blueprint for a machine, one I had to assume was meant to send me back to my world. I gave it a once-over, trying my best to read the tiny handwriting, before looking at the only two parts put together on the table. There was no way I'd be able to make it without him.

I flexed my metal hand and sighed. Knowing Donnie, he'd hidden some kind of special ability for me to discover later, so I went back to my chair and spent the next half hour playing with it. I grew restless, and my feet were tempted to take me to the kitchen to bake something, but I felt uncomfortable leaving Donnie alone. Considering my options, I walked over to wake up Shelldon.