The Bremen Town Musicians: Classic Folk Stories and Traditional Fairy Tales

Once upon a time, there was farmer who lived in Germany. Amongst the many farm animals he owned was a donkey. He had had the donkey for many years. It had been a good, hard working, strong and faithful donkey, but now it was old and tired. The donkey could see that he had become a burden to his master; he still had to be fed and kept, but he had lost his strength and could no longer keep up with his work, and his master was poor.

So one day, the donkey made up his mind to leave and find himself a new place to live, and a happier and easier role in life, in which he could peacefully live out the end of his days. The donkey had always wanted to be a singer in a band and he knew that he had a good voice. He had heard of a nearby city called Bremen, where entertainment was plentiful and welcomed, and the people were prosperous and happy.

So one day, he got up in the morning and ate his breakfast, then without saying goodbye, he lifted the barn door latch with his nose, and off he trotted on the road to Bremen.

The road was plain and difficult and stony, and he knew he had a long way to go, but the donkey felt so happy in his heart. He thought of all the people in the town and the songs he loved that would like to sing for them. Of course, he was a donkey, but donkeys can do things like this and anything else they want in stories, and he knew that.

After some time he came across a hunting dog, sitting alone by the side of the road. "Why are you sitting there, like that, at the side of the road," he asked.

"I am afraid, but I know must leave my master. I once was a good hunting dog, and I used to help him by catching rabbits, but now I am too old and tired." said the dog.

"It's the same for me" said the donkey. "I have decided to go to Bremen and become a singer. You can come with me and be a musician in the band. You can learn to play the mandolin or the drums and we can entertain the people and make money.

The old dog could see right away that this was a great idea, he cheered up, and he got up, and he happily said yes. Off on the road they trotted to Bremen, and now they both had a friendly and understanding companion too.

By and by they came across a cat sitting on the roof of a house along the way. The cat was old, like them, and she looked very sad.

"Hello Kitty," the donkey said, "What's the matter? You look sad."

"I am sad because I am old," she said. "Once, I was helpful to my masters because I used to catch mice for them and keep the house free of them, but now I can't see very well or run very fast. I am sad that I cannot help them and I am worried that my owners will get rid of me."

"It's the same for us," said the donkey. "We have decided to go to Bremen and become musicians and entertain the people for money. You can come with us and join the band if you want to. You can play the flute or the tambourine or anything you like."

Oh my! The cat could see that this was a wonderful idea and a great answer to her problems, and she felt so happy at the thought of it, that it was as if some of her health and energy had come back. She said yes, and she came down from the roof and walked along cheerfully beside them.

Soon they came across a rooster on a fence, crowing loud, "Cock-a-doodle-do!" again and again, in the middle of the afternoon, as though he was a little crazy, or afraid.

"Why are you crowing out like that, mister rooster?" asked the donkey.

"Tomorrow is Sunday, my owners always invite guests for dinner. I am afraid that they will serve me up and eat me! I am too old to look after the chickens for them any more." he said.

"It's the same for us," said the donkey. "We have decided to go to Bremen and earn a living as musicians entertaining the people. Why don't you come with us!"