Tate-La Bianca Murders

The Tate–LaBianca murders werea series of murders perpetrated by members of the Manson Familyduring August 8–10, 1969, in Los Angeles, California, UnitedStates, under the direction of Tex Watson and Charles Manson. Theperpetrators killed five people on the night of August 8–9:pregnant actress Sharon Tate (whose unborn child died as a result)and her companions Jay Sebring, Abigail Folger, Wojciech Frykowski,and Steven Parent. The following evening, the Family also murderedsupermarket executive Leno LaBianca and his wife Rosemary, at theirhome in the Los Feliz section of Los Angeles.

On the night of August 8–9, fourmembers of the Manson Family: Watson, Susan Atkins, PatriciaKrenwinkel, and Linda Kasabian, drove from Spahn Ranch to 10050 CieloDrive in Benedict Canyon, the home of Sharon Tate and her husband,film director Roman Polanski. The group murdered Tate, who was 8½months pregnant; guests Jay Sebring, a celebrity hairdresser; AbigailFolger, a coffee heiress; her boyfriend Wojciech Frykowski, anaspiring screenwriter; and Steven Parent, an 18-year-old visitor.Polanski was working in Europe on a film. Manson was a cult leaderand aspiring musician who had tried to get a contract with recordproducer Terry Melcher, who had previously rented the house.

The following night, those four women,in addition to Manson, Leslie Van Houten and Steve "Clem"Grogan, committed two more murders. Manson had allegedly said hewould "show them how to do it". After theyconsidered various options, Kasabian drove the group to 3301 WaverlyDrive in the Los Feliz neighborhood, the home of the LaBiancas.Manson left with Atkins, Grogan, and Kasabian. Watson, Krenwinkel,and Van Houten killed the couple in the early morning hours of August10.

Tate murders

On the night of August 8, 1969, TexWatson took Susan Atkins, Linda Kasabian, and Patricia Krenwinkel to10050 Cielo Drive in Benedict Canyon, Los Angeles, California. Watsonclaims Charles Manson had instructed him (Watson) go to the house and"totally destroy" everyone in it, and to do it "asgruesome as you can". Manson told the women to do as Watsoninstructed them.

The occupants of the house at CieloDrive that evening were movie actress Sharon Tate, who was 8½ monthspregnant and the wife of film director Roman Polanski; her friend andformer lover Jay Sebring, a noted celebrity hairstylist; Polanski'sfriend Wojciech Frykowski; and Frykowski's girlfriend Abigail Folger,heiress to the Folgers coffee fortune and daughter of Peter Folger. Also present on the property were William Garretson, the caretaker,and his friend Steven Parent. Polanski was in Europe working on afilm. Music producer Quincy Jones was a friend of Sebring who hadplanned to join him that evening but did not go.

Watson and the three women arrived atCielo Drive just past midnight on August 9, 1969. Watson climbed atelephone pole near the entrance gate and cut the phone line to thehouse. The group backed their car to the bottom of the hill that ledto the estate and walked back up to the house. They thought that thegate might be electrified or equipped with an alarm, so they climbeda brushy embankment to the right of the gate and entered the grounds.Headlights approached them from within the property, and Watsonordered the women to lie in the bushes. He stepped out and orderedthe approaching driver to halt. Steven Parent had been visiting theproperty's caretaker, William Garretson, who lived in the guesthouse. Watson leveled a .22 caliber revolver at Parent, who beggedhim not to hurt him, claiming that he would not say anything. Watsonlunged at Parent with a knife, giving him a defensive slash wound onthe palm of his hand that severed tendons and tore the boy's watchoff his wrist, then shot him four times in the chest and abdomen,killing him in the front seat of his white 1965 AMC Ambassador coupe.Watson ordered the women to help push the car farther up thedriveway.