Seventy

Leah

"How many desserts are you making?" I asked my mom incredulously. She already started making her fourth dessert. She had made her famous homemade pound cake, chocolate fudge, peanut butter cookies and she was now on pumpkin pie. You know, to keep it festive.

"Well, I'm the one hosting this thing. I can't just have one dessert." She said almost breathlessly as she turned the spatula of her pie mixture. She had started this baking frenzy since his morning and now it was close the evening. Perfection takes time. 

I shook my head at her and reached for a cookie off the cooling rack. Her hand came lightning fast and slapped my own. "Ow!" I cried out in pain.

"No cookies." She warned in a motherly tone.

"Aw mom. No one will know." I tried to convince her.

"I will know. Don't you dare, I've counted them." I gapped at her. She really went that far.

"Whatever." I muttered under my breath. "I hope it's okay that I've invited Jace." I watched her with intent eyes. I mentioned to her earlier in the day that I had invited him, but I left out the detail of his mom.

After the dinner at the Rylan's cabin estate, I haven't seen her much to even try to discuss the revelation that I overheard as she was stuck at work for most of the time. Truthfully, I wasn't in the mind space to even attempt too.

What was I gonna say? Any mention of my father and she would try to change the topic.

My mom gave me a warm smile. "Of course it's okay. He is your boyfriend after all." I felt my heart flutter at the word. I was still not use to hearing it especially since it refers to Jace.

That asshole as been on my mind like a broken record. I found myself thinking about him in the most random times, found myself actually missing his annoying presence and stupidly handsome face. I just couldn't break free. What is going on with me?

"Which we still haven't discussed yet." My mom pointed out and I cringed at the words. I knew I was in for a round of rapid fire questioning and I was not prepared. Especially since Mrs. Rylan knew before her. I wish I could just tell her it's not real, but that would bring way more questions. "Don't worry, I won't do it today. But I will soon." She gave a forewarning.

"Yes ma'am." I answered. "For my foreboding misery, can I have a cookie as a pre-reward?" My mom just have me one of the motherly 'you know better' look. "Geez, fine."

The doorbell rung a moment later. I was tasked with letting our guest in as my mom finished up her desserts. I opened the front door to see the Rylans standing there with beaming smiles.

"Welcome, come on in." I said politely. See, I can be a gracious host. We exchanged warm greetings and hugs as they entered.

"Is that freshly baked cookies I smell?" Mr. Rylan asked excitedly. Totally a true foodie.

I let out a laugh. "Yeah, mom just finished making them. Trust me, I tried snagging one and she already  shot me down."

"Leah, you have to be stealthy." Mr. Rylan lectured. "Or you have to immerse your victim in a deep conversation that they won't even notice."