Deep dish and morons

Kenzie's eyes fluttered open as she felt a hand lightly shaking her shoulder.

"Halstead. Wake up. We're here." Gabby said in a soft voice.

Kenzie peeled her cheek from the window of the ambulance and blinked repetitively as her blurry vision disappeared. Then she yawned and, lifted her arms upright in the air as she stretched them. Then, she got out of the ambulance, a bit dazed, and ran across the street with Gabby to where Brett was standing in front of a restaurant.

As they went inside, Kenzie yanked at the hair tie that was keeping most of her hair, which was now a mess, out of her face, and rolled it back onto her wrist, then she gathered all of her thin red hair into her fist and tied it into a tight ponytail on the top of her head. As she stood in line with the paramedics, and the aroma of pizza took over her nostrils, she felt an arm snake around her shoulders and pull her tired body towards them.

"To answer your question earlier; running on three straight hours of shock and adrenaline tires out, just about everybody." Gabby whispered to Kenzie, as she rubbed her hand up and down Kenzie's arm.

As Kenzie fought the urge to close her eyes again, now completely drained and starving, the two people in front the three girls turned around, which turned out to be Jay and the officer Kenzie saw at the E.D, what felt like years ago.

"Hey, guys. I thought the firehouse was supposed to be eating healthier now, what happened?" the girl with a husky voice asked.

before anyone could answer the unidentified officer, Jay looked to his sister with concern and cut in.

"Hey, K are you okay? You look beat."

Kenzie chuckled as she dragged her heavy body off Gabby and stretched her arms again.

"I'm tired. That last call was scary. a kid had fallen into the river and her boyfriend? was he, her boyfriend?" Kenzie asked the two girls next to her.

"Yeah, I think he was." Brett said, with the same level of confusion in her voice.

"Yeah, her boyfriend jumped in to save her. Both nearly drowned." The unidentified officer looked shocked and what she just said, eyes opening in surprise.

"Damn. That's the bravest thing I've heard all year. Are you the new candidate on 51?" the husky voice asked as they moved up the line.

"Yeah, I am. Mackenzie Halstead. Kenzie's fine though" she said in a welcoming tone.

"Hey, Kenzie. I'm Detective Erin Lindsay, I'm Jay's partner... wait a minute, did you say 'Halstead?'" Erin asked, when the penny dropped.

to this, everyone had to stifle their laughter because of how long it took her to work out that Kenzie had said the last name of her partner as her last name.

"Are you two related?" Erin asked, shocked that she hadn't made the connection sooner.

"He's, my brother." Kenzie said, desperately trying not to burst out laughing.

"why'd you never tell me you have a cute sister?" Erin said, in a flirtatious voice.

the second Erin had said the word 'cute' to describe Kenzie, she felt her cheeks getting flushed and her knees getting weak. She looked to the floor, embarrassed and flustered. This was so wrong, she has a girlfriend, what is she doing?

suddenly, a phone started ringing. As Kenzie patted down the pockets of her oldest brother's coat, she felt a phone vibrating. The caller ID said it was "Nat". Kenzie picked it up, in case it was something important

"Hello?"

"Hello? Who's this?"

"This is Will's sister. who's this?"