16

Katrina
-

"But are y'all still not talking over a flat iron? I'm confused on what the issue is?" Jae turned his face up at me as we spoke.

"It's not about the flat iron. It's about her nasty ass attitude and thinking it's okay to be rude as fuck to me. She came into the shop with all that attitude and said she wasn't fucking with me."

"And then when I text her what's up and she doesn't wanna respond to me so it's whatever with her." I shrugged my shoulders while I looked out the passenger side window of his car.

"Y'all are a fucking mess. The women in my life always got me in the middle of their shit." He scoffed as he shook his head.

"That's your friend. Acting like a weird bitch."

"Unt uh, don't do me! You knew her before me and I became chill with sis but that's your friend." He turned his head at me and I laughed.

Getting out the car we walked up vacant building where we would be meeting the owner. Jae and I spoke with each other serval times in the future about opening a new shop but this time we were serious.

If a went right and we liked the space I was going to I was going to put down a deposit fee and get things going on the construction.

"I'm already liking the outside of this place but we gotta make sure everything is up and running." Jae said and I nodded my head in agreement.

The building was three times bigger than the original meaning more stylist, more customers, and more money coming into the shop.

"I'm Katrina, and this is Jaelyn." I introduced us to the owner of the building, Micheal who I had been emailing back and forth with for some time.

"It's ice to meet the both of you. We can start with a tour of the interior, I'll answer any questions that you have and then if everything's good with you guys we can discuss paperwork."

"That's fine with us." I nodded my head as we followed him into the building.

We took a tour of the building and I instantly fell in love with it. Everything was freshly installed from the sinks to the floor panels and I could tell this man took care of his building.

"What are you doing?" I asked Jaelyn as he turned on all of the sinks and then ran his hand under each of them.

"Making sure all the water stays at the temperature even when multiple sink are on at once." He said and I just nodded my head.

Not only did I bring him along because he would be managing the other shop but I also knew he would make sure everything was good. He had an eye for pointing out when something wasn't right and it needed that help.

" I like this little area over here. This can be Kiana's little lash and brow bar she's been talking about."

"Mmh, I didn't even think about that!" I nodded my head in agreement as Micheal walked back into the room.

"Are you liking what you're seeing?" He asked setting some papers down.

"I am, there's just a few questions that I have and I think we'll have a sealed deal."

"Of course, let me hear them." He nodded his head.

-

After getting into the shower and taking care of my  hygiene routine which consisted of showering, applying a facial scrub, and brushing my hair. I got dressed in a pair of pink velour pants and a fitted white pants. The curls from last night were barley hanging on due to me forgetting to wrap my hair so I made the decision to brush them out straight.

"Baby, I'm not always there when you call
But I'm always on time
And I gave you my all, now baby be mine." I  sung as I pulled into the parking lot of the hospital.

Although I was ten minutes early to my appointment I figured that it would make sense for me to sign in anyways.

"These floors are cute too." I mumbled to myself as I scrolled through Pinterest and looked at different home interior.

Ever since Joshua talked about us moving in together I started thinking about possible apartments which led to me thinking about what I would want my future house to look like.

"I need to get some stuff to do Zion's room over too. I know he was to be tired of dinosaurs by now." I made a mental note out loud making me grab my journal from my bag as is at in the doctors office.

I always used journals as a kid to keep track of my thoughts, feelings, and just basic things I needed to remind. The habit followed me into my adult years and because I was a mom who ran a business it came in handy.

"Katrina, how are you?" Shanell Johnson asked as she sanitized her hands and put on a pair of latex gloves.

"Pretty good for the most part." I said truthfully.

"That's good, have you been taking care of yourself? Drinking water everyday like we talked about?" She doctor asked as she scanned her badge and signed into the computer.

"Yup, doing everything like you said."

"And has that helped with your periods?" She asked referring to the inconsistencies and pains I had been experiencing for some time.

As a teenager I always suffered from heavy and painful periods and I didn't understand why. My doctor at the time didn't listen to me like she should've and that made it difficult to treat my symptoms on my own.

When I began getting my own money I made sure to find a doctor that would actually listen to
meand treat me the way they should.

Shanell Johnson was a forty six year old African American woman tanga didn't look a day over thirty and had managed to graduated at the top of her doctorate class. Being a doctor was something she wanted since she was a little girl and that dedication showed through her work.

"Yes, they've been much better. I feel like the excruciating pain has lessened to regular cramps here and there. I recently invested in a heating blanket and that was worked miracles." I smiled.

"I'm glad that has helped you and your able to find natural remedies as well. When was your last cycle?"

"About a week ago." I said looking down at the date on my phone and seeing it had been a little less than five days.

Nodding her head Dr.Johnson took a few more notes before starting her physical exam on me. When she finshed checking my ears and eyes I laid down on the table as usual.

"Did you eat before you came here?"

"No, why?" I asked while raising my eyebrows with a slight nervous laugh. It was bad enough that I didn't like coming to the doctor but any comment or look Dr.Johnson made, gave me anxiety.

"Your stomach is pretty hard down here." She pressed down on my stomach and then allowed me to do the same.

"Is that something that I should worry about?"

"Well don't worry worrry yourself but I want your urine and blood tested just to be safe." Dr.Johnson said before allowing me to sit up.

After going to the lab to get my blood tested and  peeing in a cup, I made my way back into the room to see if anything unusual popped up in my urine test.

I looked down at the time and realized I would have to reschedule my nail appointment because my doctors appointment was long than I thought.

"Is there something you wnana tell me?" Shanell walked into the room, playfully tapping her nails against the clipboard.

"Something like what?"

"Something like you've been sexually active in the last sixty days perhaps?" She said and I instantly rose her eyebrows.

"How do you know that?"

"Katrina sweetie, you're pregnant."