26. Deep-Sleep

Kent's Point Of View: At the Warehouse...

"Kent..." Her voice lost it's vixen coating and now only held desperation, the effect left me with disappointment.

"Debra what do you want?" I asked her as I held the cellphone to my ears.

"Why are you doing this? You know her fate as well as mines just end this..." She says and I shake my head in disbelief.

"She is apart of my legacy too there is more to her fate than you and your demented father. Debra there is more to your fate than him too. You kicked this habit before remember? We both got clean and we were living a beautiful life. We were going to move to London with our family. Debra let me help you one last time, I can end Elijah and he will no longer haunt you." I say stupidly, to say I don't still love Debra would be a lie.

I foster all my hopes and dreams into us, our love toxic was one of codependency but it did produce love. We made Zenia and she was made out of pure love and adventure.

"Meet with me Kent, we need to talk as her parents..." She says and I know this is a set-up, Debra's not the same as I hoped for her to be.

"Where?" I asked her a part of me need to see her one last time.

"Our old place, the place where we fell in love. I'll be there and we can talk more...Come alone..." She says this time her voice holding a little flint of her former self.

"I'll be there...And Debra I still love you sweetheart." I say to her hanging up. I know she is my weakness but that was old Kent not new Kent. I still want her back and I can help her but if she doesn't want the help I will let her drown alone. If we truly love something we must let it go right?

Hours Later:

I sit at Ziggy's Jazz Bar in Bedford Stuyvesant waiting for her. We both made it out of the drug rehab program. As a reward for being clean and falling for each other as we were the other's sponsor. We decided to go out on a real date something neither one of us ever experience.

I wore the same Tom Ford black suit and red shirt with a black tie. I had a feeling she will try to seduce me to get to Zenia but I won't allow it. I can't let anything else hurt my mockingbird, I failed her one too many times. I look up to see her enter the bar. Hair curled loosely like that night. A white flowy dress that was backless with a daisy in her hair she was the shell of her former self.

Her eyes were drained out from the drugs she pumped into her system, her teeth rotten and her skin almost a sheet that held her bones up. I shake my head as I can't believe I lost the love of my life.

"Kent you're...still handsome..." She says smiling and my heart broke.

"Debra...are you going to let me help you?" I say holding my hand to her face.

"Right to business huh?" She asked nestling her face in my hands. I am surprised her skin is still soft. I kiss her forehead as I try to hold my heartbreak together.

"Debra why did you want to meet?" I asked her and she holds her hand to my face.

"I want us to talk, I miss you Kent and I obviously need the help. You, me and our kids we need to get back the life that was robbed from us baby....I wanted us to meet so you can save me and my sister's kid I owe it to Helen. Plus I miss our daughter does she hate me?" She says and I didn't buy anything that she said.

Especially since my guards told me she didn't come alone. She had more with her than what she wanted me to have. I knew she was here for him and that nothing else matter, she is too far gone I can see it in her eyes.