• Thirty-two

Sir Arthur walked in after Faye had let him in. He however didn't fail to notice the unsettled features on her face as she peaked over his shoulder earlier.

The house was exactly as he remembered after staying till late evening two days before. It was brighter now that it was daytime and light streaked through the wide open windows.

He turned around to ask Faye if Kimberly was home. She had been the reason why he had come in the first place. After she abruptly teared up and rushed into the house as soon after he got her home, Matteo hadn't gotten a chance to apologize and ask whether she was fine thus he came to check on her this morning.

Faye shuffled nervously looking at the vast shoulders of the man  who slowly turned to face her then blurted out, "Kimberly isn't home." His face changed for a second, the ticking of his jaw evident perhaps due to frustration but Faye knew not.

So she continued, "She hasn't been since morning." Sir Arthur's form tensed and faced her fully, his face puzzled and thoughts all over wondering what could have been wrong unless she'd been that upset about yesterday.

"Does anyone know where she is?" He asked forcing the words out not being used to speaking much. He watched as Faye shook her head and he almost raced to the door before she spoke again.

"I'll ask James, he's always up early, he might have seen her." She led him to the stables where she knew James would be. How she hadn't thought of this was beyond her. She could only hope either Lily or Sir Arthur found Kimberly soon before word got to her parents.

"James," she called just as she saw him re-exit the stables. He turned to face them wondering what had her shouting his name. The man behind her had him walk closer to them in apprehensive steps.

"Is something wrong?" James asked looking forth between them. The unknown man had his eyes fixed on him that he turned to Faye in question and as if she could understand his confusion, she elaborated.

"This is Sir Arthur, Kimberly's friend." James' face turned into a frown as he looked back at Matteo. He didn't know Kimberly had befriended any male, especially with how strict Gerald could be.

James nodded at him and then turned to Faye. "Are you looking for Kim?" Faye nodded immediately and he noticed that the man, Sir Arthur, had shuffled closer and the impassive look he'd been putting on hardened.

"She went to town to sell some of her medicine." He answered not realizing how tirelessly everyone was looking for her. "Town?" Faye gasped, "Did she walk there?" Normally they sold the herbs at the market as it was closer and it was less suspicious.

"I'm not so sure," James offered having no further information. He had barely gotten a glance of Kimberly when she was leaving. If she had left without telling anyone, he too became concerned.

Faye looked into the stables and saw Zaine and one other horse. Without further thought she asked James to prepare them and offered Zaine to Sir Arthur. The horse didn't seem to mind as it released something akin to a sigh when he began petting across her neck.

The two left as soon as Faye had asked James to update them when Kim returned while they were away. She guided Sir Arthur out and they sprinted to town. How long it was and Matteo could only worry how she'd walked there.

As soon as they got there, Faye offered they split up for a faster search. He nodded in agreement though he was still not familiar with most parts. He was sure even with the numerous detours he'd taken, he would get to Kimberly or the horse would lead him to her.

He would have taken his carriage earlier but having dismissed Gwen, he had to rely on her horse. Matteo hoped that she wouldn't get offended that he had taken Zaine without her consent. His key goal was finding her.