06.

˗ˏˋ LEILANI 'ˎ˗

˗ˏˋ LEILANI 'ˎ˗

━━━ DEC. 10, 1993
BURBANK, CALIFORNIA

"I'VE COME BEARING gifts," Jane sang off key as she welcomed herself inside of my bedroom. "Here you go, a fresh bowl of açaí with extra granola."

"Hmm, you only buy my favorite breakfast dish when something goes completely wrong or when you need a favor," I lifted a brow. "Which one is it?"

"Whaatt? Pft, no. I don't need a favor nor do I need you to do anything for me-"

"She's lying."

My eyes roamed to the source of a voice that I hadn't heard in a little under a week. After my performance in Chicago, Rodney didn't utter a single word. Our living arrangement made it easy for me to physically see him but even then, these past few days have been filled with intolerable silence.

As he stood against the door frame with his head slightly tilted toward us, he lit a cigarette before continuing.

"Label wants to have a meeting with all of us, you included."

"No," I shook my head in refusal. "If Paul is planning to do what I think he's doing then I'm not participating in his mess. He's trying to get rid of you, y'know."

"I'm well aware," he snickered sardonically. "But that doesn't mean you can't show up. They aren't getting rid of me that easily."

"Oh bloody hell, I don't have to go if I don't want to," I voiced with a hint of annoyance laced within my tone. Rodney's arrogance toward his status at the label infuriated me like no other, especially when he knew that the decision was out of his hands. "And how can you be so sure that they won't drop you? You're blacklisted in the industry and you don't even have the fuckin' balls to tell anyone why."

"Okay now Xena, let's just calm down here-"

"No, please let her speak," Rodney cut off Jane's anxious attempt at diffusing our soon to be argument. "Let the little girl speak on shit she doesn't know about, the hell if I care."

"Little- little girl?! Oh right, because you still fuckin' treat me like one. This isn't the fuckin' mid 80's Rod, I'm not the same eighteen year old girl you met back then. I don't know what goes on in that cigarette smokin' head of yours but I know for certain that you have a problem and it's not with me."

"Hmph, baby all my problems lead back to you. All of them. So don't think for a second that you're a saint when you've been nothin' but a pain in my ass," he growled before exhaling the toxic fumes of his cigarette. "You think that just because you're Xena I'm supposed to worship the floor you walk on? I told you time and time again that I'm not a fuckin' fan of you, I'm your manager and that's all there is to it."