chapter thirteen, loveless, sinful

13
LOVELESS, SINFUL

THE WINTER SOLSTICE WAS ARRIVING soon, as Tai Yang had informed her in her dreams. When it does, his heart would overlap hers akin to the moon overlapping the sun during the solar eclipse and he would temporarily take over her body.

"I have important questions." San raised her hand in the dream like she was a schoolgirl waiting for the teacher to pick her to speak. Tai Yang sighed and nodded for her to go on. "When you take over my body and speak, will my voice become as deep as yours? Also, will I start looking like a dragon? With, like, whiskers around the nostrils and scales across my skin? Ooh! Would my scales be gilded too? Will my eyes glow like the Avatar in the Avatar State? That would actually be awesome."

"You said you had important questions."

"Was I wrong?"

"You— ugh." He sighed exasperatedly. "I don't have a concrete answer for most of your questions but no, you will not start to look like me, you'll still look like yourself. And maybe your eyes will glow. Who knows."

"Awesome!" She squealed, clapping her hands like a baby seal.

"You're awfully more excited than usual."

"I don't know- I just think having glowing eyes is awesome!"

"I'm not surprised you think that." Tai Yang deadpanned. "As I was saying, as the winter solstice arrives, you will be more attuned to your firebending and any firebenders around you will start to feel naturally stronger. Like when that comet comes- only not as strong as that, of course."

"Ah, I get it." San nodded in understanding. "Wait, you mean Sozin's comet?"

"Mhm. Don't worry, the amplification provided for other firebenders coming from you will be five times lesser than the ones provided by Sozin's comet."

"That's somewhat of a relief." She sighed, unconsciously recalling her father trying to turn her into a weapon for the nation. "You know, we're making progress with our search. The last time Aang was sighted was on a Fire Nation navy. According to the warden in charge, he and his friends helped a bunch of Earth Kingdom citizens stage a rebellion against them. Though he was quite vague on the details he was meant to give."

Tai Yang's brows wrinkled but nothing else. "I see. And now you're at an impasse again?"

"Pretty much, yeah."

When she woke up to a new day, the ship docked at an Earth Kingdom port and the crew took another break (against Zuko's wishes). San heard Iroh discover a hot springs in an area of bamboo so she decided to check out the town nearby not only to explore, but also to gather ingredients as the cook requested.

"Has anyone seen San? I already found Uncle." Zuko said, boarding the ship.

"Er, last I heard she's visiting the nearby town for a breath of fresh air," said one of the engineers eating a sandwich on the foredeck.

"Seriously?!" He groaned, turning on his heel to leave the ship again.

He found San disguised in a coffee-brown cloak appearing similar to a potato sack, a stark red headband standing out wrapped around her forehead. She was by the fruit stall chatting up with the store owner then made several stops to a vendor selling intricate seashells and a tarot card reader insisting to read her future. He marched over to her, vexed beyond comprehension.

"You and Uncle are the same! Neither of you take the search for the Avatar seriously!"

"But I do take it seriously, Zuko." She defended herself, unsurprised by his burst of irritation and was unbothered to spare him a glance. People around them were already hurrying back home to stay away from the infamous banished Fire Nation prince. "I've helped you so far, haven't I? It's not like I'm running away. I'm just relaxing since we've been travelling non-stop. Maybe you should try to relax too."