Chapter Two

"Just one more," Blaine pleaded, eyelids drooping. Mere seconds separated consciousness and sleep.

I smiled, stroking back her long, wavy hair. "Not tonight, little one." Though she was maturing every day, her tendency to fight sleep like a toddler remained. "You'll dream of things I can't even begin to imagine to tell you about, and then you can tell me all about it in the morning." I leaned down, pressing a gentle kiss to the top of her head.

She huffed, waves of red frustration radiating off her.

"I love you." I pulled up her blankets and walked over to the door. "Just close your eyes and count to twenty. If you make it, I'll read you another story. Fair?"

Quirking a brow, she snapped her eyes shut, counting aloud. The numbers gradually slowed, her speech slurring. The frown wrinkling her face vanished, smoothing out her forehead. She hadn't even reached nine by the time I heard a light snore bounce through the room.

Flipping off her light, I left her room, pulling the door halfway shut behind me. Walking down the corridor, down the stairs, and back into the living room, I picked up my phone from the coffee table. I'd check my notifications, tomorrow's schedule one last time, and then I would put it away, make myself a drink, and tuck myself into bed. Unlocking my phone, I froze for a second before my brain caught up, reinforming me of my situation.

Sebastian--Seb--my new shop neighbor, had texted me a few nights before to set up our daughters' playdate. I thought we had finalized all the details, but he had sent me another text message.

Frowning, I opened the message, wondering what he could've possibly wanted.

Seb: Hey Plato, I know the girls are meeting tomorrow, but Maggie drew the cutest picture earlier, and I thought Blaine might like to see it :)

I scrolled down further and found a drawing of two figures--likely Maggie and Blaine--playing in the park. I squinted, tilting my head at them. It looked like they each had dragon wings sprouting from their backs... and crowns on their heads. Smiling, I shook my head, saving the photo and reminding myself to show it to Blaine the next morning.

Plato: I just put Blaine down, but I'll show her first thing in the morning. She'll enjoy this!

Not a full minute passed before Seb replied.

Seb: Do you need us to bring anything tomorrow? Maybe we can take the girls for ice cream or something after the park?

Plato: I think we should be good to go since we're meeting up after lunch. Ice cream sounds like a good idea though. The girls will enjoy that.

I sighed, finally switching over to double check my schedule, muttering a curse when another message popped up on my screen. Was it normal for people to text back that quickly? Shaking my head again, I ignored the message and looked at my schedule. All that was listed was one art consult tomorrow morning at nine. So, I could get up, stretch, get breakfast going for Blaine and I, hit the shop, get lunch, then meet Seb and Maggie.

Running my fingers through my hair, feeling the beginning heaviness of exhaustion hit the backs of my eyes, I leaned against the kitchen counter. Keeping myself busy was better--it locked the bad thoughts out. It didn't give me time to think.

Even so, running myself ragged between attempting to keep up some semblance of self-care, devoting myself to Blaine, and immersing myself in my work was bound to have some sort of negative consequence sooner or later. Gods, I just hoped it was later.

I went over to the refrigerator and pulled out a bottle of coconut rum. Instead of dirtying up another glass, I just turned the bottle up, taking a long swig. Warmth spread down my throat and chest. I felt a little more whole.