Prologue

Prologue

I hit the pavement hard, the wheels on my skateboard turning furiously to keep up with the speed I wanted to go. I heard him calling after me but I didn’t even spare a glance back.

As my wheels found a hill, my speed increased even more, dangerously so. But I didn’t hesitate. Crashing was not high up on my list of things to worry about, at the moment.

The wind felt amazing as it tangled my hair behind me. I started to recognize the road by the shops going by. I was on headed toward the fountain on Main Street. It was too late for any of the small shops to be open. Everything was dark, still and quiet. The loudest noise out tonight was my skateboard as it rolled along the pavement.

I closed my eyes for a second, enjoying the feel of the air and clearing my head. That second was long enough. A hand grabbed me and whipped me around, right off my skateboard. I flailed my arms trying hard to keep myself upright. My skateboard continued down the hill. After a second of flailing that felt like minutes, I lost my balance and hit the ground hard.

I let out a breathless shriek; it was all could muster. The person added another hand on the front of my jacket, now pinning me down instead of trying to pull me up. He was hunched over me and the light was behind us; all I could see what his outline.

He seemed to stare me down for a long time before yanking me up, off the pavement again. There was no doubt in my mind who he was or why he was here.