Chapter 12

TW in the description

Mattias POV

After confirming that Luca would cover Giulia's shifts at the cafe, the pair returned to the Pescheria to get their bags and catch a train to Florence.

"Do you really have to go?" Gabriella asked for the third time. "If it's family business, maybe Mattias should go himself. You're still sick.

"I'm not that bad, mom," Giulia said, though Mattias noted her pale complexion. "It's important I'm there."

"You could stay," Mattias offered, "I will be back before you know it."

Mattias wanted his fiance to remain in Portorosso, where it was safe. Who knew what would happen at the meeting with the Bracaleone line? Things could take a turn for the worst.

"I'm coming, Mattias," Giulia said, giving a hard edge to his name. "We are together in this."

Mattias sighed but didn't argue any further.

Gabriella helped Giulia pack a few more items before walking them to the door.

"Be safe, both of you. My nerves will not rest until you're back. And I know Massimo feels the same way." Gabriella said, speaking for the old fisherman working in the Pescheria on the floor below.

"We'll be fine, mama." Giulia groaned.

"Well, rest assured that wedding plans won't stop while you're gone! I'm working round the clock."

"Don't work too hard," Mattias said, kissing his to-be mother-in-law on the cheek before saying goodbye.

~.~.~.~

Mattias couldn't remember the last time he'd been on a train. He usually drove a family car, but Giulia enjoyed the train more. And right now, with her carrying their child, Mattias would do anything to ease the discomfort she was now facing in her first trimester.

"Do you need something for nausea?" He asked as Giulia pulled a trash pale closer to her, looking green as the train rocked on the tracks.

"N-" She gagged, "No, I'm fine."

"This medicine won't hurt the baby. I'm a doctor, I'd know." Mattias said, teasing her a bit.

She glared at him before finally succumbing to the rocking train and throwing up. Mattias held up her hair as she lost her breakfast.

"We could have taken a car," Mattias said, but Giulia shook her head.

"I-," She took in a rushed breath, "Like the train."

"Stubborn as always," Mattias said, offering her a napkin to wipe her face.

Besides Giulia's occasional nausea, the trip to Florence went without hindrance. He'd written to Talia a few days prior, informing her that he was coming and to tell the family to be ready. He wanted to get these discussions out of the way as soon as possible. He wouldn't linger in this city a moment longer than necessary.

Their hotel was small and a bit cramped. Of course, the family would expect him to stay on the estate, but Mattias refused. He wouldn't get Giulia anywhere close to that place. He rose early the next morning, putting his long hair in a ponytail that hung loosely down his back. His face was unshaven, but he didn't bother touching it up. It would piss off the old bats more if he showed up looking unkempt.

"You... leaving?" Giulia yawned, her eyes barely blinking open.

"Yes. I don't know how long I will, but I want you to stay here. Okay? No exploring until I get back. Order as much room service and movies as you'd like."