chapter one

"-preschool teacher who was previously determined to be missing, has now been found dead two weeks later. She was found with the entirety of her blood supply drained, the remainder of her body intact. Authorities are rushing to find out what may have happened to her. "

Click.

Colette turned the TV off with a quick motion of her wrist, tired of the somber news of death and despair echoing around her living room. A sigh left her lips as she sat the wine glass she'd been drinking down on the coffee table in front of her. She had just gotten off from work and was attempting to wind down with a glass of wine and tomorrow's weather- but lately the news had less joyous things to share.

Trying to get the gruesome realities off her mind she got up, taking the glass with her, and made her way to the kitchen. She downed the rest of the wine quickly and washed out the glass. For a moment she sat braced against the counter, pondering over the day's events.

Work was the same as ever, redundant, repetitive, aggravating. She worked as a climatologist for a big science institution in a city 25 minutes away from where she lived. In order to get there she took the bus every morning and afternoon- as she rarely ever used her car unless absolutely necessary.

She loved her field of study- it was always a passion of her's. When she was a little girl she joined a recycling organization in her town and used most of her chore money to donate to simile foundations. In high school, she started one of her own- those childhood ambitions turning into serious passions. She wanted to make a difference and advocate for the environment- so she dedicated her adolescence to those efforts.

Her senior year of high school she earned an internship at a prestigious university that had a renowned climatology program. She was thrilled and her parents were proud- and she remembered that being the last time she truly felt joy in her field.

Often times it felt like her work and research was pointless. If no one listened to the warnings she put out or if they used her graphs and research to push a political agenda- what did she really accomplish? She tried to keep the spark she had in her youth- the forever burning fire that was her love for change and action. However, she realized rather quickly why people in her line of work were often erratic or burned out entirely. Preaching the same hymnal , to ears that refused to listen, could kill the passion of any preacher.

The determination she felt when she was fresh out of high school- attending that same university she'd interned at- had long ago dwindled down into a shallow husk of emotions that she could barely say she felt at all. At 28 years old she'd already lost the drive needed to prosper in life. Most of the hope she had was gone and she only continued to live because she had to. Out of pure and utter necessity.

That mental state left her very lonely. While most of her peers were settling down and starting families- she hardly had romantic interactions outside of casual hookups or the occasional fling. It hadn't been intentional at first- it just so happened that none of the people she invested time in wanted anything more. It was an arrangement she truly minded- but she would've preferred to be something more than a seed machine to the women she pursued. Even if their relationship didn't go much of anywhere. And dealing with situationships that constantly failed- and a dying passion to thrive- she eventually stopped caring.

There was the occasional woman who'd try to sweep her off her feet with a promise of commitment- and for a moment or two she'd entertain the idea. Then she'd realize she didn't want commitment with a human- who could  understand her and she'd have to back away. With her increasing loneliness her social skills had taken a major hit and her mental health began to decline. As a result, she started to become increasingly hard to get ahold of. Her behavior was distant and withdrawn- a natural vibe killer in any relationship.