7: 'An unexpected phone call...'

I don't think my eyes have ever been this sore and puffy before, I've officially cried myself dry. And now I just feel numb.

Completely numb.

This morning I knew exactly who I was going to be and where my life was going. Now I know nothing.

All I want is to be able to talk to Luke and Autie about it, but I feel like if I try to speak no words would come out.

My eyebrows knit together as my phone begins to ring, I check the caller ID before answering.

'Toby?'

His drunken laugh penetrates my ears, 'Scar! Where the hell are you?'

'I'm at home, where are you?'

'At some fucking party, I'm high as shit right now.'

Worry grows within the pit of my stomach, 'A-Are you safe?'

'I was actually hoping that you could come and pick me up.'

I let out a small sigh as a I lazily pick my coat up from the end of my bed, 'Sure, please can you text me the address.'

'See this is why I love you. You always help me out.'

My stomach flutters as his words, 'A-And I always will.'

'I'll pin my location, see you later babe.'

Before I can reply he ends the call, I wince as I catch a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror. I look like a fucking shit.

I rub my stinging eyes as I trudge down the stairs, my eyes widen as the front door opens, Lucas freezes when he takes in my facial features.

'Why are you crying?'

'I-I was just watching some videos of these cute dogs. And you know what I'm like.'

He rolls his eyes, 'You know they make you cry, why do you keep watching them?'

'They're cute.'

I hated myself for lying to him, I hate lying in general but doing it to Luke felt like a different level of pain. He's always been the person I could confide in, I could always rely on him to help me fight away all of my fears. 

But I just wasn't ready to admit it, because when I do then it all becomes real.

He eyes up the coat in my hand, 'Where are you going?'

'O-Oh Toby asked if I could pick him up from some party.'

'On your own? Late at night?'

'I'll be fine! You don't have to worry about me all the time.'

'Of course I do, dipshit.'

'H-How's Autie?'

The dark-haired boy sighs as he runs his fingers through his hair, 'She's okay, I think she's just nervous about the move.'

I nod slowly, 'Remind me to buy her some flowers tomorrow.'

He laughs softly, 'I will, don't worry.'

...

I drum my fingertips against my steering wheel before I check my phone for the fourteenth time, I've been sat in my car for nearly forty minutes and there was still no sign of Toby. I've rung him nearly eight times and every time he'd hang up after one ring.

Half of me was debating going inside, but I wasn't exactly dressed for a party.

Fuck it.

I wasn't leaving him here alone in that state. I'd never leave anyone behind, regardless of it I knew them or not.