Prologue

HMCS Ontario's P.O.V

A heavy sigh escaped my lips as I sat in front of the desk and tirelessly worked away at the large stack of papers. My hand had began to cramp as I printed away with the pen in between my thumb and forefinger. 

A small hiss escaped next as I subsequently dropped the pen for a moment to shake my hand and stretch out its muscles. For three hours I had been slaving away at these pages either writing entire sentences on some or just signing a quick signature on others. 

The whole process in general was both boring and annoying, staring at how many more I had to go didn't help either. Ever since I gained this position it has been hell on earth what with now having to watch over the entire fleet, give out orders, write reports and collaborate with the other navies, especially with Her Majesty. I had expectations but they weren't enough to ready me for the step up. 

Another sigh slipped through as I leaned back in the chair while continuing to stretch my hand. 

So much was happening as of late which meant I've had to work later into the night at times and all it's done for me was sour my mood as a whole. I haven't had any time to hang out with friends and sometimes it was hard to step out and eat. So many missed meals only irritated me further but I knew I couldn't just give in to the pressure and step down, That was not something I could do to the fleet, I had to stay strong for their sake. 

Even so, the pressure was tearing me down, which only slowed down my productivity many times a day. 

Soon when the cramping in my hand died off I got back to the report before a series of knocks rang out from the door at the other end of the office. 

"Come in" I sighed a third time out of irritation while dropping the pen once more to look up and watch as Quebec entered through the door. She gave a warm smile as she softly shut the door behind her before coming to stand in front of the desk. 

"Sorry to do this to you, but I have two more from the patrols that just came in" She mentioned before placing two extra sheets of paper on top of the pile to my left. 

"Great. . ."

Her warm smile turned sorry as she loosened up her shoulders. "Bonaventure has also left for the Monarchy to receive her retrofit, Nabob should arrive within the next few days to replace her for the time being"

I could only nod in acknowledgment as her smile only grew even sadder.  "You know it would be wise to get a secretary to help quicken up some of this work" 

"I don't want to lay all this work on people even though I'm aware it would take a load off" I replied while I quickly finished up the report in front of me before placing it on the pile to my right.

"It wouldn't be too much, I can help you if you'd like?" 

"No thanks, You deserve time off" 

"Well so should you"

"I'm fine" 

"Your-"

"I said I'm fine!" I eventually lost my patience and Quebec flinched at the sharp tone. Despite witnessing the reaction I didn't let up. "If he can do it so can I!" 

"But-" 

"What? I'm doing my best! It's what he would want, isn't it?!" 

"Ontario. . . It's been three months. You can't keep bringing the Commander up as an excuse to wear yourself out" A slight hint of anger could be seen in her eyes and that made me realize I had gone a little too far.