Chapter 5

Well, Zoey had been right. The thugs who had threatened Carlisle didn't show themselves again. She was left to work on Rowan's vehicle without incident, from Dean's stupid friends or the strange device she had built. Her uneventful days also left her to fantasise about her unique client, wondering if he was still interested in grabbing that drink or if two weeks had been too long and whatever connection she had felt with him was gone--or straight up imagined. Sure, it had been a while since she had been on a date, not exactly eager to get back into the game after what happened with Dean, but she didn't think she was at the point where her mind would make up fake connections with hot strangers just so she would feel desired.

She paused in the middle of tightening the last bolt and frowned deeply at the underbelly of his vehicle. "Stop getting so worked up. He's just a man, just like the entire other half of your species. If he doesn't remember the drink, it's not the end of the world."

Maybe it wasn't, but Zoey couldn't wait any longer to find out. She finished up the last few things on the Rover then looked at the clock. Ten before five. Perfect timing.

She cut off Shinedown halfway through "Enemies" and hurried to her office, escaping the heavy rain threatening to drown her. Excitedly--and nervously--she flipped through her files until she found Rowan's number. After taking a deep breath, collecting her thoughts, she dialed his number.

One ring.

This is it.

Two rings.

She could barely sit still and was moments away from forgetting how to speak.

Three rings.

Voicemail.

Oh.

Inwardly grumbling, she left a message to let him know his vehicle was ready to be picked up when he was available then hung up. She took a moment to herself and dumped her head on the desk, releasing a long, tired groan. "Get. A. Grip." She had never been like this. Not since high school, anyway, when boys were a mysterious species filled with as many hormones as she was and didn't know what to do with them.

Of course the man was at work. He was probably contracted under a nine to five job, just like she was. What he did under the contract, though, Zoey was curious to know. Like so many things about him. She wanted to know where he was from, if he had siblings, his accomplishments, his failures.

She wanted it all. All of him.

Carlisle knocked on the door. "You okay, Zoe?"

"I need a drink, Carlisle." It was exactly what she needed right now. To unwind. Let Rowan slip from her mind for one more day. She'd been tense for the past two weeks, going over scenarios, asking questions she wouldn't get the answers to. This new obsession of hers couldn't be healthy and, quite frankly, it unsettled her. 

He took one long look at her and nodded in agreement. "Some of the boys are going to the pub, why don't you join them?"

"Do you think there's a chance I could get Ross to sing karaoke?" If Ross had enough drinks in him, he would sing fucking "Barbie Girl" at the top of his lungs and get the crowd singing along. It was epic. Every. Single. Time.

Carlisle chuckled, removing himself from the door jamb and straightening out his flannel jacket. "If you buy him enough drinks. I'm heading home to a little thing I call a family. Y'all should get one."

Zoey waved him off. "Have a good night, Carlisle."

"You too."

She packed up her things and hurried to join the others.