Chapter 15

Chapter 15

Joseph

I was still smiling an shaking my head in wonder at Gavin's antics all throughout lunch. I couldn't contain the happiness I felt about being able to spend time with my friends. Corey was a true enabler for Gavin, not that he needed any encouragement with being his usually fabulous self. It's a good thing Mr. Nuyen, the owner of the Thai Restaurant located beneath Corey's city studio space was more than used to our shenanigans. He's been putting up with all of us for years, even before Corey began pursuing his artistic career. Of course, Marcus had Micah acquire the entire building, a nice multi-business district addition to his already impressive real estate portfolio, and they had Mike had wire the security of the entire building tighter than Fort Knox.

The car pulled out of the late afternoon traffic, and Jarrod glided the luxury vehicle to a smooth stop alongside the busy city curb crawling with after work pedestrian traffic. The gleaming office building we were parked in front of hosted Reynold's Security Consultants head office. Another acquisition belonging to the Triple Threat. Hence the VIP availability to park in a designated spot directly in front of the sliding glass doors leading to an equally lavish lobby inside.

Perplexed, I lowered the privacy screen. "I thought we were going back to my condo." I inquired of Jarrod. I knew I'd been so caught up in my head, that I'd forgotten if I'd told Jarrod to take me home for the evening or not.

"Yes, Sir, you did tell me to take you home, but the boss man told me to bring you here instead. I apologize for not informing you of the change of plans. You seemed to be a little preoccupied." Jarrod responded before he leaned to the side to check for oncoming traffic. He got out of the car, walked around the front of the vehicle. The meticulous bodyguard/driver performed his usual scan of our surroundings. Seemingly satisfied of my safety, he opened the back door, and allowed me to exit the car.

As per usual, he shadowed my steps like a human shield between myself and the world. The man was large, like most of the men in Mike's employ. He reminded me of a Norse God. My overactive imagination could easily envision Jarrod as a conquering Viking, dressed in furs, chain mail, and grungy blood-stained armor as he pillaged some unbeknownst village. The only thing he was missing was the long intricate braids in his honey, wheat colored hair, and a scruffy beard. Otherwise, the massive body underneath that designer suit was more than enough to have any little gay boy or straight girl wishing Jarrod would consider them a spoil of war and carry them off to be a willing Viking thrall.

I headed directly for the private elevator at the end of the hallway. It was the one that went up directly to Mike's office. It was programmed to go only to his floor and it opened in the foyer front of his receptionist, Tatiana. A not so small Amazon of a woman. To be honest, I was more scared of her than any other of the deadly operatives under Mike's employ. I've had the privilege to observe a majority of the men, and women who made up the roster for Michael's business go through their strict training routine in the gym located a few floors down from the main office and command center on the top floor.

Tati, as she liked to be called, was not only Mike's receptionist, she was also his right hand with helping him with the day-to-day operations of his business, and his personal bodyguard when the occasion called for it. Mike usually didn't require her protection services being the badass that he was himself. But Tati could give as good, if not better than most of the men working here. She's knocked a few heads together, and bested quite a few of the operatives here. Like most of the Reynolds Security Consulting employees, her background stemmed from some special forces branch in the military. I couldn't recall which one at the moment.

The elevator dinged announcing our arrival to the top floor. The doors quietly slid open and there she was, the woman herself perched behind the exquisite marble reception desk. A small smile graced her ruby red lips as she watched me walk towards her. The embellished gold letters declaring the business name was mounted elegantly on a thick glass panel behind her.