Darkness Lurking // Storybrooke

*six weeks later*

The next day, Regina asked the heroes to meet at the Sheriff's station. With Emma being the Dark One, she wouldn't go anywhere near there. She knew they'd be safe there. 

Regina found a spell book, one they had in Camelot, with a page marked in it. On the page was a magical mushroom. She was the one who marked it. 

"I think we were looking at this for answers," she said to Snow, David, Kyla and Rider. 

"We've been violated!" Grumpy's voice carried through the Sheriff's station as he and the dwarves stormed in. 

"What's the problem?" David asked. 

"What do you think it is?" Grumpy asked, angrier than ever. "Your kid!" 

"She took my ax," Happy said. 

Regina left, wanting to work on decoding the book. Kyla decided to stay. 

Grumpy told the Charmings they needed to do something. If they did, the dwarves were going to take action. 

"Do not hurt her," Snow said, her voice agitated. 

"Even if you wanted to, you can't," Kyla interjected. As Grumpy began to argue, Kyla motioned for him to be silent. "I'm not doubting your abilities as the kingdoms guards. However, this is the Dark One we're talking about. The most powerful one we'll ever deal with. You're only going to get hurt." 

"And what are you going to do about it, Princess?" Grumpy asked. 

"Leroy!" Snow said, shocked at his demeanor. Kyla remained unfazed. 

"As it turns out," she said, lowering herself to whisper into Grumpy's ear, "I'm not just a princess anymore." 

She pulled back, staring at him as sparks lit up her eyes. 

"Your magic's back," he said, almost breathless. "So, you're going to protect us?" 

She could feel the change in his emotion. Hope coursed through him. Kyla sighed. 

"I'll do my best," she said, honestly. "If there's one thing we know about Dark Ones, they hate any kind of hope." 

"Does she..." Grumpy trailed off. 

"I believe she does know about my powers, yes. But, the fact that I'm still here and not being held captive or dead is a good sign," she said with a small smile on her face. She could feel Rider stiffen behind her. 

"Do you have a plan?" He asked. 

"Yeah, do you?" David asked. 

"Not really," she said, turning to Rider. 

"We're trying to figure out the best way to get her dagger," he said. 

"That'll be impossible," Snow said. 

"Maybe," Kyla said, looking at her sister, "but it's better than doing nothing." 

"Can't you kill her?" Grumpy said. Kyla took in a deep breath as she slowly turned to face the dwarf. She could feel panic creeping into her sister and David as she released her breath. 

"We're not hurting or killing anyone," Kyla said matter-of-factly. "I don't know if we can save Emma at this point, but the plan is to figure out what her plan is. Then we stop her." 

Kyla and Rider decided to help Regina find out more about the mushroom, while David went on a quest with Arthur that ended with one of his men in the jail. While they were in Regina's vault, Kyla's phone rang with Hook calling her.