Chapter 3: My Own Personal Crazy

[Sophie's POV]

The morning after my introduction to my crazy mates, I decided it would be best to concrete my stay here. I began to plan. I wasn't really sure what constituted as insane so I just kind of made up my own version. When Nurse Ellen came and gave me my pills for the day I hid them under my tongue and prayed that they wouldn't dissolve before she left. Thankfully they didn't. I also hid the tiny plastic cup that was used to hold the pills when she wasn't paying attention.

After Ellen left I spit out the pills and dried them off on the sheet on my bed before putting them back into the cup. I put the cup in the pocket of my robe and got into character.

I ran out of my room held my robe so that it looked like a cape. Maddy was poking Angela's cheek repetitively on the couch and I ran over.

"How dare you fiend?! Do not threaten that poor citizen." Maddy looked confused. I began pelting her with the pills in my pocket screaming.

"Do not take her money you hoodlum. Leave that poor woman alone. One does not deserve such on a wonderful day like this." Maddy burst out laughing and I fought a chuckle. I saw Ellen and Linda, the nurse from the front desk, coming towards me. I smiled triumphantly and waved them over.

"It is okay officers. I have apprehended this villain and will take her to jail." I gave them that cheesy grin that super-heroes in the movies do and put my hands on my hips. Maddy, ever the instigator, began to ask me questions while the nurses glared at her.

"What is your name, hero?" I looked at her confidently.

"Well, I am Better-Than-Batman Man." Everyone that was paying attention to the encounter stopped what they were doing and just looked at me. Even Maddy was thrown for a loop.

"What?" She asked

"I was watching Batman with my brother yesterday and I decided that I am better than him. So I am Better-Than-Batman Man." Everyone still looked confused as to what I meant so I explained even further.

"Batman may have a cape but so do I. And my cape has pockets..." I started playing with my pockets by wiggling them around. I then flapped them up and down like wings. I was actually entertained by the pockets for a minute and began laughing and making clucking noises. I swear that I'm not insane and I have never been but in that moment everyone became sure that I was having a psychotic break. Nurse Ellen finally noticed the pills all over the couch and floor. Realization and understanding sparked in her eyes. She looked disappointed in me and I mentally added yet another person the the list. She grabbed my arm gently and brought me to the nurses room, where she gave me my pills and checked to make sure that I took them.

Once back in the Entertainment Room, I sat on the couch silently, my hands fiddling with the fraying cushions. My mind was foggy and I tried to clear it but couldn't. My brother sat next to me and held my hands, stopping them from moving. Mason didn't say anything but rubbed circles on my hands when I tensed at his touch. Chase walked up and crouched in front of me. He studied my face and let out a sigh. I blinked and looked through him, choosing to ignore everything. He leaned closer and whispered in my ear so that my brother couldn't hear.

"You probably won't remember this with the amount of meds you are on. I'm not sure what that episode was about but I know a crazy person when I see one, probably because I'm diagnosed as one, and you aren't. I don't know what you are up to but I will find out." He studied me again after he pulled away and shook his head before walking back to his group of friends. I blinked again and tried to pay attention to the show on television but the people were blurry so I just took a nap instead.

***

When I woke up, my mind was much clearer. I looked around for my brother but I guess that he had left for his room. Instead I was sitting next to the curly haired boy... Edwin? Edwin turned and saw me staring at him. I blushed and looked at my hands.

"Hey. I didn't get to actually introduce myself because of Andrew. I am Edwin Cole. And you are..." He paused, giving me time to answer. I hesitated, remembering Chase's message but smiled.

"I am Sophie Devlin." I turned back to the T.V. and we watched it in a happy silence for a while. Then I heard Edwin's voice again.

"How has your stay been so far?"

"It has been okay. It would have bee a lot worse without my brother." Edwin's eyes brightened.

"Your brother is Mason yes? He is a great kid. I think of him as a little brother." I grinned at the thought of Mason having friends.

"How old are you? Mason always wanted a brother." Edwin held up both hands and flashed ten fingers twice. My brows furrowed.

"You're twenty? Can't you leave if you feel that you're able?" He nodded his head slowly.

"I don't feel like I am able to go out in the real world..." He looked away and I grew confused. There didn't seem to be a problem with Edwin. At that moment I grew very curious of the man's story and reminded myself that I couldn't be nosy without expecting others to be nosy as well. I kept my mouth closed and turned back to the television to finish the action movie that was playing.