chapter one

The main building was big and square with dirty paint chipping off, leaving spots that looked like beige eczema all over the exterior. Other square buildings branched off behind it, their old red shingled roofs sticking out against the gray sky. A soft drizzle fell.

 “Well, come on then.” grunted the creepy old man who brought us to our new home. He rolled his eyes and walked in with his strange limp.

 I looked at Craig and adjusted the strap of my duffel bag. His expression basically summed up my thoughts. 

I guess this is our life now.

He shuffled through the dirty doors and I followed, feeling disgusted with the condition of the place. More like an asylum, Hudson’s school was almost completely white, except for the dirt smears and mold climbing up the walls. I shuddered. 

 “The office is this way.” Said the chauffeur, pointing to a black door. 

The office was completely unparalleled with the main entrance. The walls were a hideous shade of mustard, and the big wooden desk had hot pink flowers plastered all over it. Behind it sat a woman who looked like she stepped straight out of the 60’s. 

She looked up from behind her large spectacles. “May I help you?”

The creepy old man had evidently left, leaving one of us to speak.

“Yeah, actually,” Craig said, flashing his signature smile, “We’re Nina and Craig Mason. We’re transferring here, I guess?” 

I looked away to stop myself from giggling; Craig’s good boy act was far from his personality. 

The woman blinked a few times and smiled softly. “Yes, of course. We’ve been waiting for you two.” 

Craig and I exchanged glanced. 

The woman stood up and came before us. “Ms. Higgins.” 

I shook her wrinkley hand, feeling uncomfortable under her gaze.

“Follow me.” She stepped back into the filthy hall, Craig trailing behind her. 

 “And this is the courtyard,” Ms. Higgins said, gesturing around the space surrounded by all the buildings some time later. The doors stood around us, like a maze waiting to be exited. In the center there was a design in the concrete. I stepped closer to observe it; it seemed to be a sun in a circle. She was pointing out which buildings were which, and I supposed I should’ve been paying attention.

“...That is the atrium, which students are not allowed in without Ms. Hudson’s permission.”

“Why?” I asked, curiosity operating my voice. 

Her hardened glare landed on me. “If you were allowed to know, you wouldn’t need permission from the head mistress to enter, now would you?”

I nodded, unable to respond. 

“Those are the dorms, girls on the third floor, boys on the second, and common room on the floor. Your uniforms will be ready for pick up at six o’clock at the main office.” She finished, pointing to the worst looking building and smiling like before. 

 We entered the dorms, and I wasn’t surprised to find the dirty common room filled with people who ranged from a bit younger than our age to boys who had goatees. 

It felt like a million pairs of eyes turned towards us.

 We made our way across to the steps. Whispers broke out as we ascended. 

I caught snippets of some as we got farther and farther away.

“... the new kids...”

“...the ones we’ve been waiting for...”