Chapter Seventeen

I think most of us in this school are probably adrenaline junkies. Except maybe Tessa, who'd be better suited to sitting behind a desk. There is nothing we love more than to get our blood pumping, and what better way then a last minute test that forces us to showcase our skills.

Friends are quickly made with strangers, lectures being given, multiple languages are spoken, partners on the dance floor switch quicker then an old style waltz spins.

When I'm forced to spin out of Elijah's arms and a strangers, I'm surprised the boy knows my name. He looks athletic, probably top of his class, instinct tells me this is Vince's old archenemy.

"You're not a talker?" He says. We've finished the foxtrot and he's plied me with many questions I don't want to answer.

"Not really."

He looks down his nose at me, his eyes are kind of beady. Without all that muscle he would look like a naked mole rat. "Did you really get kidnapped and tortured?"

I frown. "How do you know about that?"

He shrugs, his arms still around me as we move into a slow rumba. "Things like that don't really happen often, word gets around."

"That is the least comforting thing I have ever heard." I say. "No one is supposed to know."

He shrugs again. "Not many seventeen year olds girls would survive that." Nosy and a misogynist, lovely.

My eyes narrow at him, "How do you know what I survived? I don't even fully know what I survived."

"Amelia," The boy says calmly, "everybody knows. You're a legend."

I am not touched by his words. I am freaked out. Only trusted people are supposed to know about me, the top dogs, people in the school, my friends. Word shouldn't be flying around about the torture I endured, students in this school are supposed to have each others backs, even if they hate each other. Our lives depend on it.

"Excuse me," I say, stepping out of his arms. "I need a drink."

"Let me escort you."

"No!" I half snap, then catch myself. "That's very kind, but I'm capable of getting myself across the dance floor."

He frowns and then nods before letting me leave. I rush to grab a drink and then push myself into the shadows.

I watch as my schoolmates have fun, laugh, get to know the imposters who have infiltrated the school walls. I keep my eyes and ears open. I pay attention to everything.

I watch as Vince dances with his ex-girlfriend three times. Elijah laughs at something Lily says. Grace prances about with Tessa, pulling goofy faces. Will goes in for a kiss with his date. Everyone is having a good time.

But there is something about the teachers faces. The way Stan is moving around the room, brow furrowed, eyes alert, he makes me feel like something is wrong. I look harder, but everything seems ordinary to me. For the first time, they all look like teenagers having fun.

Maybe that's the problem.

"Having a good time?" A voice close to my ear makes me jump.

Startled, I turn towards Vince.

"How do you do that?"

"Do what?" He asks, handing me a drink.

I take it and turn back to the dance floor. "Creep up on me."

"You get too focused on what's in front of you. You stop paying attention to what's around you."

"How observant."