Golden Rule

"Okay, Kate Bishop, what is rule number one?"

"Stop, drop, and roll."

"Be serious."

Kate rolled her eyes, sighing. "When you're on the run- don't run. Walk."

"Good." Yelena nodded in confirmation, hands in her jacket pockets as the two waded through the thin afternoon crowd at the bus stop in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania. "Number two?"

"No electronics, no credit cards."

"And number three?"'

Biting her lip in concentration, Kate eventually asked, "line, please?"

"Seriously? There's only three of them."

"God, I'm trying my best."

Yelena took in the battered face of the other woman, butterfly bandages still adorning her features. She softened, replying, "okay, okay. Two out of three isn't bad. The third one is shoot first ask questions later. It is my favorite."

"Of course it is." Kate shivered, observing the discordantly festive decorations of the bus stop as she walked. "What day is it?"

"I don't know. I think it is Sunday."

"But the day? Like, the number."

"Oh." Yelena pulled out a bus brochure from her back pocket, searching for a schedule on a calendar. "It is December 24th."

"Christmas Eve?"

"Hm. So it is." Yelena shoved the pamphlet in her hardy backpack before nudging Kate gently. "Merry Christmas Eve, Kate Bishop. Now let's go see Santa Claus."

-

Alexei Shostakov was exactly what Kate expected- every Russian stereotype she knew personified. Big, burly, smelling of liquor and, oddly, cheese. His accent was even thicker than Yelena's, and the state of his apartment- more akin to a landfill than a suitable habitat for humans, made Kate somehow miss the tiny studio apartment she and Yelena fled.

"Ah, there she is!" Alexei excitedly greeted, running to embrace Yelena as soon as she stepped in the door. "My girl returns to me."

"Hi, Alexei," Yelena said stiffly, giving a half hearted pat on the back. "It is... nice to see you."

After a giant wet kiss on the forehead, he released her, directing his attention to Kate. "And who is this? My Yelena has made friends, huh?"

"This is Kate. She is... traveling with me."

Alexei winked indiscreetly, making Kate quirk an eyebrow. "I see..." he said, nodding. "Traveling with you."

"Behave," Yelena warned, and the man grinned, throwing his hands up in innocence. He led the women to his living room, clearing away beer cans and greasy paper plates to create sitting space on the ratty plaid couch. Neither took the offer.

"I have to admit I am surprised to see you so soon," Alexei said, flopping down onto the concave cushion of his recliner. "I was expecting you sometime next week. I was going to clean."

"Yes, I am sure you were," Yelena jabbed, leaning against the living room doorway, arms crossed, while Kate lingered awkwardly in the foyer. "I was not expecting to be here so early either. The New York safe house got busted. We barely got away."

"Busted? Cops on your trail?"

"I don't think so. I dropped the bike somewhere in New Jersey. We rode the bus here."

"Ah, bus is smart. Never many people these days." Kicking up his feet, Alexei picked up his half finished drink from the side table. "How long do you plan on staying? I know Val is excited to see you."