II | gardens

"Prince! Have you met...?"

"Prince Kai, I wanted to talk to you about—"

"Prince Kai! I just wanted to thank you for the invitation, it is truly a great honour for—"

"Prince, Sir Timothy would like an audience as soon as possible after you receive the crown, could we...?"

"Prince, Skylor Chen is to arrive tomorrow evening. You have to be ready to come to welcome her, don't you dare arrive as late as you did today. We cannot afford to cancel this wedding, it is far too important for both sides."

The whole room was spinning. Must've been, otherwise, Kai couldn't explain the state he was in.

Dizzy. He felt dizzy. Or sick. Or just something along those lines. All the conversations, tingling of cutlery and laughter were hurting his ears. It was all simply too much. Not to mention his clothes were a little too tight and he was too hot and for some reason, he was suddenly very aware of the presence of his hair and his skin.

Kai kept on poking some canapés around his plate while trying to at least pretend to pay attention to whoever the heck was just talking to him. No, yeah, he was going to be sick, for sure. All of the sounds and feelings and just everything was slowly turning him into a ticking bomb, just waiting to explode. And the count was getting lower and lower way too fast.

"Of course, there's a lot of time but it's always good to plan ahead. My daughter should get married by the end of this year and then it's just a little while before the firstborn comes, am I right? Of course, I don't want to pressure you, I just want you to think about it a little. Maybe your child could connect our kingdoms together? If you know where I'm going... But as I said, no pressure, it's just a suggestion..."

Ok, he's had enough. No. Just fucking no.

He looked up, smiling politely at... whatshisname.

"Of course. Now if you excuse me, I think I heard my name being called..." And then he left before the other could say anything. Gone in a flash as they say.

"Prince!" Acronix caught his arm, squeezing it tightly. Kai kept his face neutral despite the fact that he was just digging his nails into his skin - through three layers nonetheless! Jesus, where did he get the strength from all the lollygagging and eating fancy foods?

"Where exactly do you think you're going?" he asked, eyes burning into Kai's.

"Oh, I was just looking for you, actually. What a coincidence I met you here!"

"Stop the nonsense and try to engage. Those are all important authorities and we do not want to anger any of them. You're turning eighteen tomorrow, act like it."

"I apologise, your majesty ."

"Enough," he hissed and harshly let go of him. Kai, gratefully welcoming his newfound freedom, walked off to the side, in hopes of getting away from others for a few seconds—

"Prince Kai!"

Oh, he's had enough.

Turning around in a haste – and turning himself into a giant red blur in the process – he snapped, " What? " But that anger vanished as soon as it appeared when he saw the familiar face – the owner of the voice that almost caused him to actually explode this time.

"Oh, I'm so sorry, I didn't mean to anger you, I just couldn't get your attention. Sorry, Kai," Cole apologised as quickly as Kai's anger disappeared. Instead, Kai began to feel guilty after seeing his startled expression. He should apologise, not Cole. But that's who he is – too kind for the whole world, really. Cole always was too kind for his own good.