Back at it Again

TW: Parental Abuse

First Day of School at St. Maria catholic school

"Jean would you stop fidgeting" his mother said trying to straighten the collar of his blue polo shirt.

"Mommy I wanna go play", he whined. Not a fan of the school uniform.

Mrs. Kirschtein let out a frustrated side, and let her 5 year old son out of her grip.

She was relieved that there weren't tears. She noticed another young boy, with a stern looking father and mother. The boy look almost afraid of his dad as he explained that he needed to be on his best behavior. He had a sweet face dotted with freckles, and warm brown eyes.

Lunchtime rolled around, and Jean was excited to dig into his PB&J. He was about to open up his power rangers lunch box, when a shy voice interrupted him.

"Can-can I sit here?"

Jean looked up to see the freckled boy from his class.

"Sure"

He sat down, looking at his lunch box.

"I like you lunch box, those guys look cool" he said shyly.

"They are the power rangers!!" Jean said excitedly.

"The who?"

"Power rangers. You've never heard of them?"

"No not allowed to watch it" he said.

"Well you should come to my house and watch with me sometime, we don't have to tell you mom"

He laughed, "sounds like fun. I'm Marco"

"I'm Jean".

As the school year progressed, Jean and Marco soon became inseparable best friends. Playing power rangers a recess, which then evolved to soccer as they got older.

One day near the end of 5th grade. Jean sat down at lunch looking a bit dejected.

"What's wrong with you?" Marco asked, munching on a carrot.

"I'm going to a new school next year" Jean said.

"What like your moving out of Trost??" Marco asked a bit panicked.

"No not moving, just going to be going to public school Trost Middle school, the Trost High, to be honest I'm excited to not have to wear a uniform anymore or have to take Bible classes, but I'm just bummed that we won't be at the same school anymore" Jean said.

"I hear Trost High School has a great soccer program" Marco said.

Jean was silent for a moment. "Just promise me we will stay best friends ok"

Marco smiled and held out his pinky. "Pinky promise"

***********************

3 and 1/2 years later.

Marco was excited. It was his first day of high school. He was looking in his closet for something to wear.

Due to a bit of Marco's begging, and the cost of St. Joseph's Catholic schools tuition being pretty high. Marco's strict parents had agreed that he could go to public school for high school.

So finally he and Jean would be able to be going to school together. They had managed to stay in touch during middle school, but Marco's relationship with his parents had become worse, finding himself being grounded for silly reasons, and his dad's temper....

Marco used cover up he had bought to cover up some of the fading bruises.

But nothing could bring his mode down today. He was excited to go to public school, no more stuffy ties or jackets.

Plus he got to be closer to Jean again. A thought that sent his heart racing.

Marco was carrying a secret from everyone.

At the start of middle school, even a bit before then, he just knew he was different. He had experimented with a boy throughout middle school, but near the end of 8th grade he had broken it off, stating for him it seemed like more of a phase. But there wasn't any anger. He was genuinely sorry as he felt that he had led Marco on. But Marco understood, and off he was going to St. Joesph's.

But Marco knew it was a phase.

He was gay.

He was a gay teen with a straight crush.

His parents didn't know, in fact no one knew. His fling in middle school had promised to keep his sexuality and secret, and so far he had made good on his promise.

"Marco" came a stern voice from downstairs. "Let's go"

Not wanting to make his father mad, Marco grabbed his backpack and headed downstairs.

**********************

Jean was fidgeting. He was excited and nervous to start high school. But he was more excited to see Marco again!

He had jumped for joy when Marco told him he would be coming to Trost for high school.

He was also a bit anxious. He had been having odd thoughts about Marco, and was nervous. He did see much of Marco during middle school, he seemed to always be in trouble with his parents. Which honestly didn't make sense to Jean considering he never got in trouble at school.

He kept looking through the crowd. Then he saw him, and his heart skipped a beat.

Marco caught his eye and rushed towards him, giving him a huge hug.

"He smells good" they both thought.

"Dude I'm so psyched your here, and not a St. Joes"

Marco smiled hoping his blushing face wouldn't give him away.

The first bell rang and the 2 got out their schedules and headed towards to entrance to the school.

"Jean and Marco back together again" Jean said putting his arm around Marco.

Marco's heart was going a mile a minute.

To be continued.....