Chapter 8 Trelawney's Sight

Chapter 8

Trelawney’s Sight

I went to the Great Hall for breakfast slightly later than my classmates. I had to finish a response letter to Aunt Becky, letting her know I was doing fine in my new house. I ignored the part of her note about returning to my parents for the summer. I still had no desire to see my mother after she tried to keep me from returning to school. However, I decided I would rather save that argument for another time. I briefly considered asking my aunt if she knew anyone by the name, Andre, but I did not want to go into what happened with the dementors. Although she was not as bad as Mum, my aunt was still pretty overprotective. She may just decide to take Mum’s side and have me taken out of Hogwarts.

The first thing I noticed when I entered the Great Hall, was Draco doing fainting impressions in front of a group of Slytherins. I rolled my eyes, as this was obviously to mock Harry. I also noticed Pansy seemed to be the most enthused in his audience. Lenora sat at the table next to Blaise and did not really seem to be paying much attention to Draco’s performance.

“Hey, look! There’s Melanie!” Pansy said, loudly, looking back to her own friends with a smirk. “She fainted too!”

I took in a sharp breath as I tried to ignore her and make my way to the table.

“So Melanie,” Pansy said, mockingly, as I past her, “how ever did you faint? Unless you’re a criminal, you have nothing to be afraid of, right?”

I never realized just now similar she was to my cousin until this very moment.

“Shut up, Pansy!” I retorted, annoyed. “I bet you weren’t exactly brave when you saw it.”

“Well, at least I didn’t pass out,” she shot back.

I looked directly at her and smirked. “No, at the sight of your ugly face, it is more likely the dementor would be the one to pass out.”

My remark was met by a roar of laugher from the corner of the Gryffindor table where the Wealsey twins and their friends sat. I saw that Lenora, too, chuckled, though only momentarily.

As I sat down, one of the twins commented, looking between his identical brother and me, “That was pretty funny, wasn’t it, George?”

“That’s the real reason she got moved to Gryffindor,” George added. “She’s not afraid to tell a Slytherin off.”

“Wasn’t she like your friend or something?” Ron added, less impressed.

I could not help but laugh at his remark. “Pansy and I friends? Oh God no! I found her vile from the moment I met her.”

Ron just shrugged and turned back to Harry and Hermione to talk. I thought if insulting Pansy was what it took to make friends here, I would happily oblige.

After breakfast, I made my way to Divination, the first class that day. I was unsure of what to expect from this class. Uncle Richard said it was rubbish and I should not waste my time. I, however, was too intrigued by the idea of being able to see the future, so I signed up anyway.

The class was located at the North tower so it took some time to get there. I thought I would be late, but it turned out I was one of the first ones there. I sat at a table by myself, wondering if anyone would join me. When Lenora entered, I thought for a moment she would join me, but she brushed past my table and sat next to Blaise, across the room, instead. Harry and Ron sat at their own table, though I didn’t see Hermione with them. However, the next time I glanced in that direction she was there.

Dean and Neville sat at the table next mine. Since there were only two chairs at that table, Seamus looked between them and me and asked, “Is it alright if I sit here?”