XV : Hunter's Confession

Percy had a staring contest with Scarlet a good minute before he said anything. "And I'm supposed to believe you." He said sarcastically.

"Like I said, it's a matter of personal concern." Scarlet sipped on her drink. "Our interests are temporarily aligned."

"Don't you work for the Crusaders?" Percy asked. "What do you get out of helping us?"

Scarlet chortled. "I have my own agendas, if you would believe it."

"I believe you have an agenda right now." Percy said. "One that will benefit you and definitely screw us."

Scarlet smirked. "Do you think I'm that evil?"

"Could've fooled me." Percy insisted.

"Listen." Scarlet said. "There's something I require in that facility. Something that I need. Call it a family heirloom. I just need a distraction to get in."

Percy raised an eyebrow. "I thought you were some big shot within the Crusaders?"

"Of course, but there are some things that I can't access." Scarlet admitted.

"Just use your magic then." Percy said. "I'm sure you have a few tricks to go invisible or go through walls."

Scarlet smirked. "I'm gonna give you a tip, since I need you to trust me." Scarlet said. "They have anti-magic technology."

It took Percy a few seconds before he registered what Scarlet meant. "What?"

"You heard me." Scarlet said. "Although it's still in the testing phase, it's pretty good tech. They can detect and block magic."

"So you're saying my powers won't work on them." Percy asked.

Scarlet rolled her eyes. "You're slow." Scarlet said. "You smashing water on top of them will still work fine. I'm saying magic such as incantation, charming spells, transforming them into ducks, that kind of magic. One that directly affects them."

Percy nodded. "So, you're telling me this in the hopes that I'll warm up to you."

Scarlet grinned. "I'll give something extra." Scarlet waved her hand in front of her. A puff of white smoke exploded between them and something projected onto it. "Look familiar?"

Percy squinted at it. At first, it was blurry and unclear. It looked like a fluorescent lamp was put into a glass cylinder. Percy thought it was a fancy light fixture but as the projection got clearer, Percy felt his heart sink as it filled with dread.

"No way." Percy said. "That's impossible. How?"

Scarlet shrugged. "I honestly don't know. They have it way before I joined. They said that someone gave it to them, but whose to say they're not lying?"

"But how?" Percy exclaimed. "No mortal should have that. Not only that, mortals can't have it. They can't touch it as far as I'm concerned."

"Firstly, they don't care who should have it. Secondly, I have no idea how they managed to not be incinerated by the thing. When I got close, I felt like my blood was boiling. They probably have some divine help or super advanced technology." Scarlet said. "The point is, they have it. And you know what happens when mortals get their hands on weapons of mass destruction."

Percy was too afraid to think of the possibilities. With that in mortal hands, who knows what kind of destruction they would bring.

All of a sudden, breaking into the facility has become a more important mission. Before, they were just going to save their friends. Now, they're going to steal that thing and prevent mortals from blowing everything up.