Chapter 68 - The Art of Caring for Others (Even Adalyn)

~Wren~

Despite the fact that Poppy was the most on board with my Adalyn plans, we decided very early on that she couldn't actually be there. Someone so close to the DA might scare Adalyn off before we'd gotten anywhere. Besides, without her it would be easier to backtrack if Adalyn ended up refusing to listen to us. Ciara and I had been at the manor, and even if Adalyn hadn't figured it out, Cantha had to know Nico and I were friends. Worst case scenario, we could hopefully find a way to spin it so that Nico didn't look like a traitor, with minimal obliviation.

It was now just a matter of getting her to actually talk to us. I immediately vetoed Nico's idea of using the imperius curse to get her to an empty classroom (I'm ninety percent sure he was joking). Ciara suggested we get her a note somehow, but not only would she likely ignore anything from any of us, a note would give her tangible evidence against Nico if this didn't work.

The only thing that seemed like it might work was trying to corner her by herself. While that shouldn't have been hard, because she was always by herself, if anyone else saw it happen it would raise too many questions. So when would Adalyn be wandering the castle alone, in places that students didn't really frequent? Obviously, on her way to and from the infirmary.

So that's how we ended up waiting in a hidden passage, listening for her footsteps on her way back to the dungeons. We'd been standing here in awkward silence for at least twenty minutes, even though I'd cast muffliato. Neither Nico nor Ciara had seemed inclined to talk the few times I'd tried to make conversation. I couldn't tell if they were still upset at the thought of helping Adalyn, or if it was simply the normal tension that existed between the two of them, but I wasn't about to probe any deeper into that.

"Cantha's really keeping her a long time," Ciara whispered. "It's getting close to curfew."

"You're sure she comes this way?" Nico asked.

Ciara glared at him, which I pretended not to notice. "Brigitte's been tracking her movements for months, okay? She hasn't been wrong yet."

"Yeah, cause she's mad," Nico muttered.

"I could say the same about you!"

"Shove off, Ciara."

Before Ciara could respond, I held my hand up. "I think I hear something."

That silenced them immediately, thankfully. I was getting tired of sitting by and watching them argue. Sure, Ciara had been a little more gracious and a little less "about to kill him" in the past few months, but that didn't mean they'd gotten to being on friendly terms yet. I was starting to despair of that ever happening, to be honest.

Luckily, what I'd heard really did sound like footsteps. I pushed the tapestry forward just enough to see Adalyn walking down the hallway, lost in her thoughts. "It's her."

"I guess we're actually doing this?" Nico asked. In response, I smiled and stepped out.

Adalyn was so startled at the sight of me that she just blinked for a moment, but before I'd even had time to say anything her wand was in her hand. "What do you want?" she asked, though not as nicely as that.

"Just to talk." I smiled brightly. "I don't think we've ever really met. It's not really fair to count those times with Ciara and Nico..."

She shifted uneasily, glancing around the hallway as if I'd planned an ambush. I was suddenly very glad Nico had suggested they stay hidden until she agreed to listen to me. Adalyn already seemed on the verge of a duel. "I asked what you want, Predatel."

"I know. I really just want to talk."

"About what?" Adalyn glared at me. "I know all about you, okay? That you're a traitor and a liar and probably out of your mind."