8. Hold On

POV: Harrison

"And you're sure about this?"

"Yes Harrison. Alicia should be on her way to your house as we speak but you're free from Leslie. For good I hope, stop compromising your marriage." Monica laughs.

"Monica this is the best news. Thank you so much. I was actually on my way out of the office and...wait hold on,"
I look at my phone,
"Monica we'll talk later. My mom is calling me. Thanks again."

"Hey mom. How are..."

"Harrison come to the hospital quickly. Alicia has just been in an accident, come quickly." She said crying.

I felt like the air had been knocked out of me. Oh my gosh, she can't leave me, not now and not like this. We still have so much to do. I have so much to show her still. So much to make up for.

My legs nearly give out from under me but I steady myself against my office door. I take a deep breath and before springing into action.

"Harrison? Harrison?" I hear my mom on the phone.

"I'm on my way mom." I hang up.

Thankfully Tom was already waiting by the car and he sensed my urgency as he quickly opened my door and got in the driver's side quickly too.

"Where to sir?"

"Memorial hospital. My wife was in an accident." I say.

"I'm sorry to hear that sir. She's a strong woman. She's pull through." He says and I nod.

He speeds through the city and the journey feels frustratingly long but soon we arrive at the hospital. I texted Mark and Monica to meet me there. I thought of texting Alicia's mom but I called her instead. She was distraught and said she'll be here as soon as possible.

I walk in the hospital and I can see my mom crying with dad consoling her. I walk slowly to them unsure of what I should be bracing myself for.

"Dad, what happened?"

"The light turned green and when she moved an SUV skipped a red light and hit her car."

"She was not breathing and the doctors have not said anything yet. Oh my gosh." My mom says in between sobs.

I sit in the chair with my head in my hands. Mark has his hand on my shoulder and even he is speechless. I feel so numb. Everything was just about to fall into place and now it's spiralling again.
It's been 2 hours and no one has come to tell us anything. I'm starting to get impatient so I start pacing around the room to avoid thinking of all the ways this ends badly.
Another hour goes by and the only word we heard was that the doctors are working hard to help her.

I'm woken up by a tap on my shoulder, I didn't even realize I fell asleep.

"The doctor's here." Mark says. I quickly straighten myself and stand up.

"Mr Rogers, your wife sustained some minor injuries but she has dislocated her shoulder so she'll be in an arm sling for a week or so. Otherwise everything else is just bumps and bruises. She's still unconscious for now but luckily the baby is also doing well."

"The baby?" I say in shock.

"Uhm yes sir, your wife is 6 weeks pregnant." She says with a bit of surprise in her voice and my heart is beating in a joyous rhythm.

"When will she wake up?" I ask.

"We don't know. It could be anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of days. She needs to rest. We're monitoring her closely."

"Thank you so much doctor. When can I see her?"

"A nurse will come by shortly and take you to her. Keep the visit short and you can see her again in the morning." The doctor smiles and walks away.