A Person's Appearance is Just an Illusion

As I strolled along London’s rocky sidewalk, I found myself looking upon the night’s sky. How crisp and dark it was captured my every thought. How the stars glided and popped with the luminosity of the brilliant full moon. I didn’t have a care in the world…until I realized I was lost. Once I concluded this panic started to set into my senses. Looking at the landscape around me I felt as though I was being observed by a sinister being. 

Walking with fear in my bones, I couldn’t help but jump at the slightest sound my dear London made. I knew I was miles away from my apartment, and getting there on foot would oppose a challenge for me.

Counting my steps as I looked at the ground I mistook a lamp post as a person and yelled with fear.  Sighing with relief as I held my chest I chuckled at my silliness and childish thoughts.  Turning away from my “attacker” I caught sight of a woman up against a rundown building, not far off to where I was standing.  She looked lost and hurt as she clenched her stomach.

“Miss…are you okay?” I called out softly.  I saw her head turn gently towards me, acknowledging my presence, before looking back down into her lap.

“Miss?” I called again with curiosity as I approached her very carefully, with caution in every step; I wondered how I could help. When I was almost to her I started to hear her laugh. At first it was softly, almost a whisper, but then it became louder, more ominous, causing me to stop in my tracks as I looked upon her, not too far from where she sat.

“What’s the matter Nicklaus, you don’t remember your first love?”  The woman spoke with venom drenching her voice as she looked up, and into my eyes.

Cassandra!?  Shock was written all over my face as I stared into the eyes of my demented love. How did she escape her asylum?  Getting ready to run from her, I backed into something solid. Turning around quickly I only had a chance to glace upon a vast figure before I was knocked unconscious. 

                                                       ******

Coming to, I found my arms, and legs bound to the floor. Looking around my surrounds frantically I noticed I was in a science lab. This wasn’t a lab for students to learn, this placed looked like a scene from the movie Frankenstein. It was covered with spider webs, test tubes, beakers, crazy looking liquids, and lightning rods.

“Poor Nicklaus caught all up in Miss Cassandra’s web. Naught little bug, yes you are, sending poor Cassandra away to those nasty people.” Looking to my left I saw my twisted love in a beautiful sun dress, playing with a switch on the wall closes to me.

“Cassandra…what are you doing?”

“Don’t worry Nicklaus…Cassandra will teach you. I’ll teach you how you shouldn’t treat people!” With that she threw the switch and 1,000 volts went pulsing through my veins. I screaming in agony as the shocks ripped through my body as I heard my loves twisted laughter in the background.

Once the switched was flipped, Cassandra settled down to look at her artwork. She peeked over Nicklaus’s limp body to check for a pulse, and received none. Squealing with joy she jumped and ran to her desk, not far from Nicklaus body to grab scissors to cut him free. When she turned back around to face her dead love…he was gone. The restraints were torn and his body missing.

Looking around franticly Cassandra became worried that her love wasn’t dead as she would have hoped. Turning back towards the exit her neck become incased between a strong hand. Gasping with fear she looked into the blue eyes of her love.

“Poor Cassandra, heart filled with love she missed the big picture. You were normal until I twisted you, isn’t that what the voices are saying my love? Pretty little voices in your head aren’t I right Cassandra? Telling you what’s wrong and right, trying to show you what’s real. Poor Cassandra if only you knew my secrets you might have thought twice about that little stunt you pulled.”

“Nicklaus…I’m sorry.”

“Shush now my love. It’s too late for apologies. You’re becoming a burden, and I’ve grown tired of you.”

Kissing her gently on the head, as she sobbed with fear, Nicklaus in longed his canines, causing Cassandra to squirm out of his grip. But it was out of vein as Nicklaus bite down into poor Cassandra’s throat, ripping flesh away, and breaking her arteries. Once Cassandra became limp Nicklaus dropped her to the floor as if she was nothing to him.

Whipping the blood away, he looked upon her one last time, before exiting he spoke softly, “Go in peace my poor love.”