Like Winter in June

There were no parks in our neighborhood. Never were.The new school down the street had a playground, though, so when my little sister Evelyn wanted to go somewhere to play one cloudy Saturday morning, that's where I took her. It was chilly for early June, and looked like rain, but Lyn had insisted.

"Melody, I want to go out and play."

"The backyard's always open." I looked up from my book. "Shout if you need me."

"I don't want to go in the backyard, I want to go out." She insists.

I cringe, hearing her voice crack. She's been such a brat since last fall.

"I want to meet someone."

"Lyn, it's going to rain."

"Bring an umbrella."

"It's chilly out."

"Wear a coat." She looked unusually irritated. "I want to go out now!"

"Jeez! Are you sure you don't need a nap? You're pretty cranky."

"Please, Melody!?" She rattled her sketchbook. I noticed she was already set to go. "I'll call Mom!"

I almost rolled my eyes. I didn't want her running off by herself again though, so I put down my book and started putting on my boots."Fine, we'll go-"

"To the school." She said. She sounded so bossy I almost fell to reverse psychology.

"Yeah." I griped, going upstairs and grabbing my coat and umbrella. I accidentally woke up Earhart, my parrot.

"Going out or coming in?" She squawks.

"Out. Lynnie wants to go to the school."

"School's out." She replies, tilting her head.

"It's just for the park, Earhart."

"No park."

"I know there isn't a park, I meant the playground."

"No park." She repeats.

This time I really do roll my eyes."See you, Earhart."

She starts picking at the latch on his cage as I leave. I know African Grey Parrots are supposed to be smart, but sometimes even Earhart gets airheaded. Lyn is half out the door before I'm even down the stairs.

"Hold your horses, squirt, I'm coming!"

"Well, hurry up!"

This was a real fun start to summer vacation, I thought sarcastically as I jogged to keep up with my little sister. Her brown ponytail bounced as she kept trying to run ahead of me.

"It's not a race, Lyn."

She didn't answer.

"Evelyn. Slow down."

We were almost there, so it didn't matter. As soon as I said that the playground was in view and Lyn bolted for it, running all around it and clambering over everything. Though, when I arrived at the edge of the pavement around it, she stopped, looking around with disappointment

"No one's here."

"Of course no one's here." I snapped, huffing. Man, I was out of shape. "Have you seen the weather?"

She drooped, and I felt a bit guilty.

"Hey, do you wanna go home? Or play and wait for someone to show up? We're gonna head back as soon as it starts raining, Lyn, you aren't getting yourself all muddy again for a while..."