Chapter 8

Jay’s POV

Coach Jenkins- I could really use a tough guy like you. The team is a bunch of princes, if you know what I mean.

Jay- You're telling me. It's all, after you, old chum. Oh, pardon me, did I bump into you? Where I come from it's prepare to die, suckers! As my father say’s, the only way to win is to make sure everyone else loses!

Coach Jenkins- Jay! Jay, Jay, Jay!

Jay- You rip…

Coach Jenkins- Let me explain a team. Uh, it's like a family.

Jay- You do not want to be at my house at dinner time.

Coach Jenkins- Okay, okay, um… You know how a body has a lot of different parts? The legs, elbows, ears. But they all need each other. Well, that's what a team is… different players who work together to win. Make any sense?

Jay- Can I be the fist?

Mal’s POV

Jay- Yo-ho-ho!

Carlos- Hey!

Jay- Did your plan work with Jane? Are you going over to see the wand?

Mal- Do you think that I would be going through every single spell in the book. If I hadn't completely struck out?

Jay- Oh, someone in a bad mood.

Mal- My mom’s counting on me! I can’t let her down!

Jay- We can do this… if we stick together.

Mal- And we won't go back until we do. Because we're rotten…

All- To the core.

Evie- Oh, yeah. I found out that fairy godmother blesses Ben and Bailey with the wand at coronation and we all get to go. I have nothing to wear, of course. What?

There was a sudden knock at the door.

Mal- Hold that thought.

I open the door and I see Ben and Bailey.

Ben- Hey, Mal. I didn't see you guys today. I was just wondering if you had any questions or anything… that… you… needed…

Mal- Not that I know of.

I said while turning to the other behind me.

Ben- Okay. All right. Well, uh, if you need anything, just, uh…

Mal- Oh, wait! Um, is it true that we all get to go to your guy’s coronation?

Bailey- Yeah, the whole school goes.

Mal- Wow. That is beyond exciting. Do you think that it's a possibility that the four of us could stand in the front row next to the Fairy Godmother just so we could soak up all the goodness?

Ben- I wish you could. Up front it's just me, my folks, Bailey, her boyfriend if she gets one, and my girlfriend.

Mal- And your girlfriend?

Ben- Yeah. Im sorry.

Mal- Okay. Thanks, bye.

Ben- Oh, but, no, there's plenty of…

I then slammed the door in his face.

Mal- I think it's time that Bennyboo and Bailey get themselves a new girlfriend and boyfriend. And I need a love spell.

After I found a spell we left for the kitchen to get started.

Mal- All right. It says that we still need one tear, and I never cry.

Carlos- Let's just chop up some unions.

Mal- No. It says that we need one tear of human sadness. And this love potion gets the best reviews so we have to follow it exactly.

Jay- A tear’s a tear.

Evie- That's not true, Jay. They both have antibodies and enzymes, but an emotional tear has more protein-based hormones than a reflex tear.

Mal- Listen to you.

Jay- Yeah, I knew that.

Carlos- Did not.

Jay- Yeah, I did.

Just then Lonnie walked in, so I covered my book really fast.

Lonnie- There you are, Mal! I was looking for you. You know, all the girls want you to do their hair! Midnight snack, huh? What you guys making?

Mal- Nothing special. Just cookies.Oh, no, no!

Carlos- Wait, wait, wait!

Lonnie- What? Im not gonna double dip.

Evie- Feel anything?

Mal- Yeah, like maybe it might be missing something?

Jay- Hey, there.

Lonnie- It could use some chips.

Jay- Chips?

Mal- And those are…

Lonnie- Chocolate chips. Just the most important food group. Wait. Didn't your moms ever make you guys, like, chocolate chip cookies? Like, when you're feeling sad, and they're fresh from the oven, with a big old glass of milk, and she just makes you laugh and puts everything into perspective and… why are you all looking at me like that?

Mal- It's just different where we’re from.

Lonnie- Yeah, I know. I just, you know, I thought… even villains love their kids. Oh… how awful.

I saw that she started to cry so I took my chance and whipped the tear into the bowl.

Mal- Yeah, well, big bummer, but we have to get these into the oven, so thank you so much for coming by. Really, really have a good night. I'll see you tomorrow. Evil dreams.

Lonnie- Good night.

Mal- See you tomorrow.

I then shut the door. We are now in the clear.

Mal- Okay, boys, cookie sheet. Evie, oven.

Evie- Yes, ma’am.

And just like that, we got the love cookies into the oven.