𝐯𝐢𝐢𝐢 ⋆ 𝐓𝐇𝐄 𝐁𝐀𝐑𝐆𝐀𝐈𝐍

E I G H T

E I G H T.
the bargain.
word count: 8050

◦ ◦ ━━━✧━━━ ◦ ◦

"THIS IS THE FIRST FRIEND you've made in a long time, and you knock her out?"

A squeaky, muffled voice pulled you back to reality, even for just a moment; when your eyes flickered open, your vision pulsed in and out of view, twisting and writhing, your stomach bubbling as bile rose to the back of your throat. You couldn't help but recall the ship you were stuck with on your venture to find Koresh, and how it crash landed shortly after–the feeling you were currently facing felt just like it, excluding the glass shards digging into your arms.

In an attempt to prevent yourself from vomiting, you screwed your eyes shut, swallowing hard.

"She isn't a friend. She tried to kill the child."

Your ears popped when you moved your jaw. The dizziness slowly faded. You were surprised you could even hear the conversation at all, since you swore the explosion from the krayt's belly cracked an ear drum; there was no way it didn't, since you felt a wet warmth dribbling from within your ear canal.

"Wait, wait, wait, wait. Then why did you bring her here?!"

There was a pause.

" . . . She was a bit coherent on the ride here, mumbling a few names–before my speeder was attacked. The . . . hard landing didn't help much."

"And to think I was so happy that I just won that fold–"

"Thought you might know those names."

"What? Listen, pal, if you're suggesting I get around you're very much mistaken. I'm a lady that's got some standards, you know! I don't try to associate with wackos that try to kill other people's little snooky wooky poos!"

"Not what I was suggesting. You talk to people, make friends. I want you to find out something for me."

"Oh, now you're just trying to flatter me. . . Wait, Mando–"

You quickly rustled, eyes squeezed shut, deep, ragged breaths escaping your lips. Your head was spinning. You tried to slow your breathing and keep your heart beat steady, but it was no use. The panic kicked in when your stomach flipped, and a sharp pain shot through your temple.

But rather than fainting, you suddenly felt light. An arm slipped beneath your legs while the other wrapped along your back, hoisting you up, your head leaning against something cold and hard. You swore you heard words, but they were more murmurs than anything; your ears were screaming too loudly for you to focus . . . or care.

In a way, it was nice. You could feel your legs swaying with every step taken, and the air was cool and soft, like the sun finally decided to take mercy on the world. You imagined you were no longer on Tatooine, judging by the freshness in the air and how the cold was slipping through your shirt. Goosebumps were springing across every inch of your body, especially your arms.