Thirty-One

Faryn dug her hands into her jeans. "And you're the asshole."

         His lips stretched into a mirthless smile, and he slung his legs off the side of the chair. "I'll admit I've heard very little about you until recently."

         The only other Acurials present were Elves stationed along the walls. Her mother was not here. Nor was there a throne for her. Her heart that was already racing sped up.

         "Nothing good I imagine."

         He leaned forward, eyes sharpening. "Where's my father?"

         She curled her hands into fists. "Where's my mother?"

         Klaus flinched before he settled back in throne. "Somewhere safe."

         Her heart collided to a stop, the force nearly knocking her over. "She's not here?"

         Klaus's eyes flicked past her, and Jack stepped alongside her. "If you aren't the one responsible for my father's disappearance," her half-brother said, "we had to be sure she was not easy to find."

         But . . .

         Jack's eyes slid to her. He had known her mother wasn't here. He knew this would all end with her as a prisoner and no closer to her mother.

         Her cousin smirked, and she shoved him, her hands pressing into his chest with enough force to make him stumble back. What did it matter if she lashed out? The terms of her sanctuary had run out. She needed him away from her. She needed to be able to breath.

         As the Elves along the wall drew their swords, Jack's eyes narrowed a second before a whirlwind of ice and snow whipped around his feet.

         "Faryn." Cassian's hand closed over her arm.

         "Let go of me."

         "Don't do this, please."

         "I said let go."

         And he did.

         Jack took a step toward her and raised his arm as she went for the dagger her mother had given her. This day would end with her as a prisoner, but she wasn't going to drop to her knees and surrender her wrists to be cuffed. They'd have to force them on her.

         Before either cousin could attack, her half-brother's voice rang out, "Cassian Etend. Even after hearing how you defended her in Eiraacia, I'm still surprised to see it now. Could it be that you feel guilty she was accused in your place?"

         "I didn't touch your father." The Fata's voice was almost a growl.

         "And you, Peter?" Klaus's voice only sounded mildly curious. "Or are you just here because you screwed my sister?"

         Faryn whirled from Jack to stare at Klaus. He had called her his sister. She hadn't expected him to acknowledge what she was to him.

         Peter laughed as if the idea of having slept with her was humorous. "She is a friend. Nothing more."

         "That's not what I heard."

         "I'm sorry to tell you that someone has been leading you astray, Niklaus."

         Ziva lingered near the doors while Harumi and her family had stationed themselves in one of the corners beside the doors.

         Clíodhna stood between Peter and Cassian, her posture relaxed, while Faryn trembled, anger, fear, frustration coursing through her veins.