CHAPTER THREE

It became clear that the Alpha would not be returning any time soon a day into his travels. He then informed his Beta and returned to work.

That same day, Celest packed her children's clothing and booked a flight to Romania. The separation was getting to both mates, and the pain was beginning to set in.

A day later, they landed. Kaius picked them up and brought them to the pack lands.

"We aren't supposed to be here."

Kaius turned to his mate, who was holding Aella, while Eveline was holding his hand. He wrapped his hand around his mate's head and pulled her close, kissing her softly.

"It's okay. I need you here with me," he cooed.

"But, Kaius—"

"My pack does not favor humans. I do admit. But I will keep them in order."

Celest gave a faint smile as he led her through the castle corridors. She could hear the murmurs of the others around although they were not talking with her, ignoring her like the plague. Celest was used to it, yet it still hurt her that she wasn't accepted as his mate.

She would be staying with him in his room; the girls in the connecting room.

Kaius helped her unpack, and when she was finished, she sat on the bed. "Are you going to tell me what's going on?"

He looked at her with distant eyes, and she then knew the answer. He could never tell her about his pack politics—a bitter truth—but on some level, she understood. She was dangerous to their way of life.

"I'm sorry."

"It's fine," she whispered. "I assume we are going to be here for some time?"

"Just until things calm down."

"Does your brother know I am here?"

"Yes."

* * *

It had been weeks since the Alpha had left home, and he didn't know what the fuck was happening in his world. He was still in southern lands, dealing with the carnage of the spreading illness. Whereas the research regarding the disease was steadfast, many wolves continued to get sick while some died.

His body ached. His mind screamed. Every time he lost a wolf, he felt their death, as if he was living through it with them. He pinched the bridge of his nose in aggravation as one of the scientists continued to speak to him in jargon he didn't understand.

"Stop," he ordered. "Explain in English."

The scientist looked frazzled as she fixed her glasses. She swallowed thickly. "What we are . . . experiencing is not . . . of this world."

"What are you saying?"

"I'm saying we don't know what it is because it's not from here, and we cannot cure it because it's godly."

The Alpha gave a cynical and unbelieving scoff. "Impossible."

"The best we can do now is prevention."

"Artemis hasn't descended in eons." The Alpha bit back a sneer as he stood up. He hated discussions about gods and the other world, for it only brought back terrible memories.

"Alpha, I truly believe we are in the midst of war among gods. I do not know the part we play, but they have sent a plague to hurt us."

He shook his head. He had no time for trivial beliefs.

* * *

A month passed, and the Alpha finally returned to Romania. As soon as he set foot on his land, he could smell Celest and her children. He didn't necessarily mind their presence, but he could hear the ill thoughts of his pack. Luckily, he knew none would step toward the Beta's mate. To pose a threat to Celest would mean expecting a brutal fight to take place—a fight Kaius would always win.