Chapter 14

I am startled awake to Neven shaking me frantically. As I sit up and try to wake up a bit, Neven begins to quietly ramble.

"I don't know how we are gonna keep this from happening. Could we put salt in the dirt? Would that be stronger than your powers?" As he keeps talking, I try to figure out what he is talking about. He waves towards the window so I look and see that the flower box is covered in purple azaleas. What in the world???

"Is it just mine?" I ask hoping for the answer to be yes but he shakes his head.

"No, all of the boxes on this wall of the mansion," he says while still pacing. "What are we gonna do, Evette? No one can know about this."

"Ok, what rooms are affected?" I try to calm him down, but it doesn't do much since I'm starting to panic as well.

"Yours, mine, the music room, and my dad's office." he says frantically."We have to get rid of them somehow. How do you kill them?"

"Ok, go to your room and rip them out as best you can. I'll do the ones here and then I will meet you outside my room to go to the other two rooms." I shoo him out and begin ripping the azaleas out by the roots. I look along the wall and there are four more windows not including mine and Neven's. It's still dark outside and no one else seems to be awake so we might still have time to get it all done without anyone noticing.

I get done and stuff the azaleas in my bag to hide them. When I meet Neven outside my room he is still nervous, but he brings a bag and shows me to the music room. I work on one box while Neven does the other and we get done in a few minutes.

As we reach the door to his father's office he pauses. "It's locked. What do we do?"

"I know what to do," I whisper as I go through my pockets and pull out a hair pin. I bend it a bit and while I work Neven catches on to what I'm doing. He is slightly shocked but amused at the same time. "Where did you learn to do this?"

"I used to have to sneak back into the house sometimes when I was in trouble with John. Early in our marriage he would lock me in the house when I disobeyed, so I would sneak out to go to work," I whisper, trying to stay quiet and focused. The lock clicks open and I rush in to start ripping out the azaleas. We work quickly and finish in record time.

After we're done we rush back to my room and put all of the azaleas into one bag so that it will be easier to get rid of later. "We may need to plant something else in those boxes so that it doesn't happen again." I whisper as I fall onto my bed from exhaustion. "Do you think they would let me do it as repayment for living here?"

"Probably," he shrugs, "Mom has been wanting to plant tulips in them, but she can't decide on a color." he says while sitting down in a chair. "You might be able to help her."

"Maybe, she could always do various colors." We sit and rest for a little bit until the sun starts to come up and then Neven leaves so I can get ready for the day.

When I leave my room Neven is sitting at the end of the hall waiting to show me to work. "I brought you a pastry for breakfast." He holds out a croissant on a napkin. As we walk, I bite into it and find that it is filled with a raspberry and cheese filling that makes my mouth water. I smile at him gratefully, making him chuckle.

We walk past the park and the cafe we ate at yesterday on the way to the fields and I notice that it isn't as packed as yesterday but I figure that it is due to still being so early in the morning. Neven drops me off, telling me to find Mellissa for an assignment before leaving to go to work.

"Oh, right, you're the new girl. What's your power again?" Melissa asks while looking down at a clipboard in her hands. She's a tall woman with brown curls that are tied up in a ponytail.

"I'm not too sure, but I know I can help flowers grow." I say shakily remembering this morning. "I used to have my own flower shop, so that's where I'm most comfortable but I'm willing to try anything."

"Ok, I'm gonna send you to the hospital. They have an in house garden to get plants for medical use. That will probably be the best for you until I can assign someone to train you." She speaks without ever looking up from her clipboard. "Do you know where you're going?"

"No, I just got here yesterday." I say politely.

"Eben!" Melissa calls.

A man with almond eyes and piercings on each side of his lower lip walks towards us. "What's up?" he asks nonchalantly.

"Take the new girl to the hospital for garden duty. She doesn't know her way around yet." As she talks she points a pen at me and for a second looks up at Eben who looks at me and smirks before going back to her clipboard. "Make sure she learns the route so she can go on her own tomorrow, I have a lot of work for you so you can't be her chauffeur for very long."

"You must be Evette. My name is Eben, I'm friends with Alun and Neven." He says as he holds out a hand for a handshake. "I've heard a little about you from them."

"Nice to meet you," I shake his hand and something inside me starts to feel funny. He begins to walk ahead of me to show me to the hospital, which allows me to hide my face for a bit hoping what i was feeling was just nerves.

"Have you met Aaden yet?" he asks curiously without turning to look at me.

"Yes, he showed me around yesterday, but so much happened that I didn't really lock it into memory." I answer nervously. "I'm trying to remember everything though."

"Aaden definitely has a fiery personality." He chuckles a bit. "I hear you're living with Neven for the time being. How is that?"

"Fine I guess. His mom doesn't seem to like the idea though." I recall how she treated me when we met and shudder slightly. "She thinks I'm getting in the way of his relationship with someone, but I would never do that."

He shakes his head and sighs. "I see where she gets that idea, but Neven isn't that cold hearted."

I furrow my brows and look up at him. "What do you mean? If that's okay to ask, if not that's fine, I don't want to pry."

"Neven was kind of a heart breaker when we were teenagers," Eben explains like it is no big deal. "It wasn't his fault, he just has a tendency to get really close to his friends and girls didn't understand that he didn't like them the way they liked him."

"Oh." I whisper, from my experience with Neven that makes a lot of sense. Even when we first met he seemed to be extremely open and caring, which is much different than how most guys are, especially where I was from.

"Have you met Ally?" He seems cautious when asking me. I bit my lip nervously as I try and think if I remember that name but my mind comes up blank.

"I don't think so," I say timidly since I don't like where this is going because of his tone of voice.

"Well then, this is gonna be interesting," He mumbles as we walk up to the hospital.