four.

Christine stood on Steve's doorstep, her hands stuffed into her coat pockets as she found herself lost in thought. She had forgotten to knock, so she was jsut standing there, the girl too busy thinking to realize she was never going to get inside if she didn't knock. At least that's what was presumed. However, Christine was pulled out of her thoughts by Steve opening the door, the boy jumping in realization that she was standing there. He had his keys in his hand,  looking like he was about to go somewhere, but once he saw her he put them down, pulling the girl inside.

"I was getting worried. I was gonna come find you. Shit how long were you out there? You're freezing!" Steve explained, the boy walking her into the warm house with his arms gripping her shoulders. Christine shrugged, Steve furrowing his eyebrows at her dejection but choosing not to comment on it. He moved to stand in front of her, looking down at her with a smile, just that she was here. Christine pressed a swift kiss to his lips, Steve whining as she turned away and started towards his living room.

"That's it? That's all I get? I haven't seen you since yesterday morning. And all I get is a lousy one second kiss. Ouch." Steve complained, following after her and sitting down on the couch. She hadn't sat yet, the girl looking around the living room and giving him a absentminded smile.

"When are your parents coming home?" Christine asked, her lips straight as she refused to look at Steve. Her question finally alerted him that something was wrong, the boy instantly standing from his spot and grabbing her by the arms. He looked over her face now with worry, his eyebrows pulled together and a frown embedded on his lips.

"They went out to dinner so...awhile. Why? What's wrong? You trying to do something nasty?" Steve questioned, the boy trying to catch her eye still. He threw in the joke as a way to try and relieve the tension in the room, but he soon realized eventually that it wasn't going to happen, so he settled for figuring out what exactly was wrong to make her this upset.

"Nothings wrong I just...need a minute." Christine said, the girl pushing out of his grip and sitting on the couch now. She ignored the comment, her mood too sour to joke around right now. He was quick to follow, sitting beside her, so close that their legs were almost on top of each other. He wanted to be touching her at all times. He had to be. He sat with his hands in front of him, now nervous to hold her because he was unsure what to say.

"Was it something at work? Did something happen?" He asked, and Christine leaned forwards, the girl putting her face in her hands and letting out a sigh. She nodded into her hands, Steve finally running his hand up her back. "What happened?"

"I don't know. I just—I just forgot for a second. I forgot."

"Forgot what?"

"That he died." Steve knew who she was talking about, his chest clenching as he realized what was paining her. It was grief. "I got frustrated by something that I had to do and so I got up and I was going to talk to him about it. And I just—I touched the door. And I realized. And it hurt."

"I'm sorry."

"I know. So am I. Sorry that I couldn't do more. Sorry I didn't come up with a better plan. Sorry that I didn't warn him enough. I'm sorry I didn't say goodbye." Christine dropped her face into her hands again, feeling so deeply disappointed in herself for what she had done. Steve knew better than to tell her that it wasn't her fault. It wasn't...but she wouldn't believe him. Instead he just pulled her back and hugged her, the girl accepting it and feeling a little better knowing that someone was listening to her. He pressed a kiss to the side of her neck, Christine sighing in relief because he was there. She wondered if she should share the other news she had gotten when she had stopped at home, but she figured she shouldn't, because she didn't want to think about it.

"He would be so proud of you Chris. You know that." She knew that. He would. He wouldn't say it, or maybe he would, but he would be proud of her no matter what. She nestled her head into Steve neck, now feeling the need to tell him what she had heard. They were not ones to keep secrets from each other.

"My dad called. When I stopped home, he called." She revealed, Steve pulling back from the hug and looking at her expectantly. She usually didn't answer her dads calls...they were almost always her mom.

"Did you pick up? What did he say?"

"I did. I got a feeling. It was...him. My mom got into an accident." Christine said, her shoulders slumped in defeat as Steve shook his head in confusion.

"Is she okay?" He was gripping her hands, his eyes glued to her face. He noticed that her nose was red from the cold, and it wasn't seeming to go away even though she had been in the house for a few minutes now. He presumed she would get a cold this week from standing outside so long.

"Yeah shes okay. But I had an epiphany. A moment. He told me she got into an accident and my heart stopped, and I thought he was going to tell me that she was dead. And I was scared." She explained, hoping that he would understand what she meant by this. She continued on. "I was scared she was going to die. And I thought to myself...your mom is going to die before you can forgive her. And I got scared."

"What do you want to do?" Steve asked brilliantly, like he knew exactly what she needed to be asked. She finally caught his eye, the girl mesmerized by the care in them, her heart lighting like a fire at the sight of him.

"I want to forgive her. I just don't know how. Or where to start. But I don't want her to die before I can give her my forgiveness." Christine said, feeling like a weight came off of her chest as she revealed one of her deepest transgressions.

Steve was amazed by her, his heart swelling with pride at her words. She was an amazing woman, the fact that she could offer forgiveness to someone who hurt her so badly, it was insane. But she had done it before for him, so he wasn't that surprised. Just amazed.

"If anybody can do it it's you. You may suck in a fist fight but you've got heart kid." Steve joked, hoping it would go over well. Christine looked at him for a second before she cracked a smile, the girl laughing and shaking her head at his words. He was just glad that she was laughing.

"I'm sorry I came in upset." She said, Steve immediately shaking his head at her.

"Don't apologize. I'm just happy you told me what was going on. Besides, my night was boring just sitting here waiting. So I don't really care how you came in." He said, grabbing her by the face and initiating a kiss. She grabbed his wrist that was attached to her face,  Christine closing the space between them and kissing him. He was happy about it, the boy pushing closer so that he could be closer to her. Christine pulled back first, running her thumb over his pulse  as she pressed their forehead together.

"You wanna go upstairs and read It?" The two of them had started reading the book together about a week ago, and now it was an enjoyable pass time. Steve pulled back from her, his face still close to hers as he spoke in a small voice.

"Yes please." She giggled as he pressed one more kiss to her mouth and then stood, pulling her up with him and the two of them escaping to Steve's room.