Eight: I Can't Make Him

I stir from my slumber, the faint sound of my door closing rousing me. Blinking groggily, I glance at the clock. It's already evening; I've slept the entire day. Great. I slide my slippers on and make my way out of my bedroom.

"Sorry. Did I wake you?" Derek asks when I reach the dining area. He's in his outside clothes, preparing takeout boxes. "I got us Chinese food for tonight."

I clutch my stomach. The scent of the fried rice is to die for.

"It's alright," I say.

I might not be able to sleep tonight, but I guess I must suffer the consequences of my decision to drink to the point of intoxication.

He pulls a chair for me. "Come, sit."

I comply, eagerly diving into the fried rice and lemon chicken. I can't resist the allure of the wonton soup either. I need something warm in my stomach to soothe the remnants of my hangover.

"I'm going to start working tomorrow," he announces stiffly.

"Whoa, finally," I reply cheerfully, pretending I don't notice that something's off. Derek will talk about it if he wants to talk about it. "I thought your university degree was merely a ploy to lure girls."

"That's not entirely untrue," he admits, a corner of his lips curling upward. "But I really wanted to get a master's degree."

Fine. I can't help it. I'm curious.

"Or... An excuse to get away?"

He becomes silent for a few seconds. "Mmm."

I strive to change the topic as his mood turns sour. Too soon. It's a personal matter to him. I can't pry further.

"So, Patrick said he's giving us a call tonight. I wonder what's taking him so long," I utter, swallowing a mouthful of dumpling.

"Oh, right. I've been waiting for it too. Let me check." He fishes his phone out of his pocket. Derek frowns. "Man, I missed his call ten minutes ago."

"Call him back," I tell him.

A few seconds later, Patrick is on Skype. I scoot closer to Derek so we can both see him. My arm brushes against Derek's, and a prickling sensation travels along my back. Sam, what the heck?

I choose to focus on Patrick, who's inside his hotel room.

"Hey, guys," he greets. "How's it going? What are you eating?"

"We're great. Chinese food," I reply, presenting the takeout boxes. "So, what's up? How was it?"

There's a sparkle in his eyes, and I can tell what's coming next. "She said yes!"

Derek and I erupt into cheers, waving our arms and exchanging high-fives. I'm genuinely ecstatic for Patrick. He's been planning his proposal for months. I even had to wake him up once when he fell asleep in the dining area, exhausted from researching the best locations for marriage proposals.

"Congratulations, man! It's not like we didn't know it was bound to happen since university, but I'm happy for you," Derek says.

"Congratulations, Pat! Where is she?"

"She's taking a shower," he answers happily.

"So, what's next? Do you already have a date?" I ask.

"Well, we're returning home this Thursday."

It sucks when the thing I instantly think of is that Patrick coming back means Derek gone. It's not gonna be right away. But Patrick's presence will be an everyday reminder that Derek will leave soon, and everything will return to its original place.