Chapter Five

"Wait, you do?" Casey asked, both girls confused. James nodded. Rosa looked at the book in Casey's hand. "We just found out from this book-" Casey handed the book to the couple, who flipped through it. James nodded it again, then closed it. "My great grandmother was a witch, known for practicing divination, and other various magic. Other practitioners looked up to her. She was originally from Vashnaheil, and escaped, seeking refuge in a world where she wouldn't be chased by the Deria." He explained. Rosa crossed her arms. "I thought magic was dead in this world. Doesn't that mean that witchcraft isn't real? It faded after the Heil split, according to the book." James shook his head. "It faded. Not disappeared. Witches here are people who realized that magic is still here, always has been. When you think about it, magic is merely energy that is channeled with intent and practice to become something or do something. In Vashnaheil the supernatural and natural have no barrier. Demons, angels and others walk the same ground. The energy there is constantly charged, almost constantly ready for use, whereas here, on Vonyaheil, the barrier is thick and not many are aware of the roots of our existence."

"So why do these photos show up now? And why Nova?" Casey sat down, leaning forward as Rosa stood next to her, arms crossed. There was silence from the couple for a few minutes. "We're not sure, but whatever the reason, one thing is clear. Vashnaheil is in danger." James sighed. Rosa raised an eyebrow. "So, how exactly do we get to Vashnaheil?" She inquired. Silence descended again as the four contemplated. Then Casey spoke up, tapping her fingers in a rhythm as she spoke. "You said there's a barrier between the worlds, right? Well somehow, Nova must've breached that barrier." Rosa looked at her friend. "With the photograph!" James began flipping through the ancient book. "But since the photograph disappeared, we'd need another way through." Trisha finally spoke up. James shouted, "Here!" Everyone's eyes turned to him.

He placed the book on the table, reading from it. "'The barrier dividing Vashnaheil and Voynaheil remains steady, however, is at its weakest on a solar eclipse. If you should seek to cross the Veil, seek a forest, and bring three jars of moonwater.'" He closed the book and looked at the others. "It appears destiny is on our side. The next eclipse is in two days."

Nova watched as Elowen and Amarelis cast a protective circle over the house, green and light blue magic shimmering. Elowen fixed the bed before she smiled a comforting smile towards Nova before she laid on her back, relaxed as she set her hands on her stomach, exhaling and closing her eyes. Amarelis looked focused, drawing runes out of his pouch, placing one in each cardinal direction around Elowen, the symbols glowing as he mumbled words in a foreign language, then lit candles in the cottage, the scent of sage and lavender lingering pleasantly.

Finally, Amarelis sat down on one side of the bed, Nova seated on the other. "What now?" She whispered. Amarelis sighed lightly. "We wait." He replied quietly, focused on Elowen. The two quieted, the atmosphere soon changed to a thicker consistency, almost like honey. "Breathe." Amarelis' voice cut into Nova's thoughts, causing the ravenette to look at him, his emerald eyes boring into her grey ones as she released a breath she didn't know she was holding. "Thanks-" She rubbed her neck. The male only nodded, returning his attention to Elowen. The seer seemed peaceful, but that didn't last for long. Soon a frown formed on her face and she seemed uncomfortable. Nova froze for a second, unsure of this. "Should we wake her?" She asked, worried. Amarelis shook his head. Elowen's distress grew until she bolted upright in the bed.

"What did you see?" Amarelis' voice held a gentle yet urgent tone, his expression looked worried. Elowen took a few deep breaths, gathering herself before she looked at the two next to her. "The Fae tribe Aerka was attacked." She looked extremely upset. "How soon?" Amarelis shared the same expression, his baritone voice quieter. Elowen looked at him. "Ten minutes from now."

And ten minutes it was. Far away in the elvish provinces, the tribe of Aerka believed themselves to be safe. Since the other Tribes had been attacked and some wiped out or converted by the darkness the Aerka Tribe had taken in who they could, and finding safe places where other fae could reside. The tribe itself dwelled near a caved in area, walls and magic barriers designed to keep evil out. Neveah smiled as she picked a fruit from a tree and hand it to the eager child next to her, chuckling lightly. "Thank you, princess!!" He giggled and ran off. She sighed in content, smoothing the skirt of her pink and silver dress, her white hair blowing in the breeze. "You'll make a fine queen, Neveah." She turned around to face her father, her rose colored irises flicking to the ground as she smiled softly, rubbing her arms. "Hey," Her father smoothed back her hair, gently fixing her rose quartz tiara. "I mean it. Your mother would be proud." She looked up at her father, her butterfly wings of various pinks, light purples, and silver fluttering lightly as she was warmed by her father's words. Her mother had died when she was five due to undetermined reason, though most blamed it on the Neisha. Even though her father had grieved, he kept strong, raising his daughter and providing for the tribe.

"Thanks, dad. How's Waylon?" She was curious, as the boy was a fae orphan from another tribe who opted to stay with the Aerka. "He was just asking about you, actually." He gestured to follow him, Neveah obliging. Waylon was like a brother to her, the seventeen year old fae being able to sit at the weaving mill for hours, interested in the ways of the loom. He also practiced often with the healers, being one himself. However they soon learned that, Waylon being the son of his tribe's priestess, had the gift of Anima et Corpus healing; the ability to heal both physically and spiritually, a rare power that can be quite taxing on its users. When they arrived, Waylon smiled, getting up to greet Neveah. "So how's Her Highness doing today?" He asked, laid back, hands in his pocket, the wind from the outside ruffling his pink hair. Neveah rolled her eyes. "Come on, you know you can call me Neveah. 'Princess' is too formal for family friends." She commented, smiling. "What about all those nobles, then?" Waylon grinned back. Neveah laughed. "That's diplomacy."

Waylon was about to reply when a few centaur guards galloped to the two. "You both need to escape, now." The duo frowned. "Wait, why? What happened?" Her brows furrowed. The centaur shook his head. "No time, get on." Neveah and Waylon looked at each other, confused. Centaurs never allowed others on their backs, nevertheless guards. Neveah obeyed the order though, pulling Waylon up behind her, the guard beginning to gallop as fast as he could. While he tried to shield the two on his back from the view, they still saw it. The massacre, the darkness, those horrible wolfish shadow beings tearing into the town and populace.

Neveah's eyes widened as she saw her father, wielding the treasured sword of their tribe. Fire burned buildings, there was screaming, crying as they rode by. Neveah's father turned, wide eyed as he spotted her, taking something off his neck and tossing it to her, the object expanding into a beautiful lyre. "Go, my daughter, discover yourself and save us." He yelled, smiling. Neveah screamed for him to look out as a Neisha lunged and knocked her unaware father down, the darkness swallowing him. "No!" She cried, Waylon looked horrified, hugging her close. The centaur kept going, allowing the two to get off once they were far enough away. "Go. Do not return." He said simply, before turning and galloping away. The two stood there in horror and shock before Waylon gently nudged Neveah. "Hey...we should go." He trailed off that last sentence. Neveah nodded as the moon's silver light seemed to brighten.

The forest was already beginning to darken, but the group were ready. The jars of water, having been basking in the light of the moon, sparkled, set in a triangular fashion. It wasn't before long that everything plunged into darkness. However, as the corona of the sun shone upon the earth, a purple portal opened and Rosa and Casey stepped inside. They had hashed out the arrangements earlier, taking nearly an hour to settle. Eventually it was decided best for the adults to stay back to gather resources and possibly provide refuge and whatever magical power they could pull from earth's witches while Casey and Rosa work on the flip side. It was a shame they didn't know just exactly what they were getting into.