Chapter 6 >> Traps

((The trap is somewhere between the two shown in the media))

"Frostpaw, Willowpaw! Go get Badgerstar!"

The apprentices exchanged a frightened glance. Willowpaw was the first to charge back to camp, thorn in paw forgotten. Frostpaw was right behind her.

Their gait was clumsy and instinctive; tendrils of undergrowth snagged at them and threatened the mission.

Yet, it was Frostpaw who burst through the tunnel first. "Badgerstar! Badgerstar!" She yowled.

Their Clanmates looked up sharply from their activities, eyes wide. The black and white leader quickly emerged from his den and met the two apprentices by the entrance. Although he was startled, his demeanor was calm and collected. "Whats the matter?" He demanded, surveying them.

Willowpaw waved her tail wildly at the forest. "Brightblossom and Ashpelt!"

Badgerstar's expression hardened as he turned to the now growing crowd of cats. Scanning them, he called out the warriors he needed. "Scarletfang, Foxtooth!" With iron fortitude, he beckoned the two with his tail, and bolted out of camp.

Once they had left and the cluster of cats had thinned, Frostpaw faced the tunnel. Willowpaw felt a prick of dismay as she saw her friend's face. "I'd know that look anywhere. You're not thinking of following them, are you?" She asked, slinking up.

"Of course I am! I can't let them have all the fun!" Her eyes sparkled with excitement.

"I don't want to get in trouble though. Besides, we don't know whats going on! For StarClan's sake, it could be a badger!" Willowpaw pointed out, curling her claws into the ground.

Frostpaw only shook her head, for she was distracted by the rush of adrenaline that was coursing through her blood. "Your choice whether or not to come." With that, she shot out of camp.

Willowpaw hesitated. She wasn't sure whether to stay, and miss the possible adventure, or to go and risk being in trouble...or worse, if there happened to be a fox or badger lingering about. Cursing Frostpaw under her breath, she darted after her friend.

~~~

The trail of fear scent was more than enough help as to where Badgerstar had gone. It wafted through the trees, sharp and tart. Willowpaw caught up to Frostpaw, who had slowed her pace to a brisk trot.

"I knew you'd come along." Her friend snickered.

"It's better than letting you have boasting rights when this is all over," Willowpaw retorted. She opened her mouth again to point out the stupidity of this idea when Frostpaw's tail silenced her.

"Listen," she whispered, turning her bright blue eyes on her.

For a moment, the only sound was their breathing and distant bird song. Then a wail split the air, giving the apprentices a start. The fur along Willowpaw's spine began to stand.

Frostpaw looked back excitedly. "We're getting close!" She mewed.

Willowpaw glared at her in exasperation, forcing her fur to lie flat. "This isn't an adventure, Frostpaw. This is a real situation!"

The white and ginger apprentice only rolled her eyes and continued walking. "Whatever."

Up ahead, they spotted movement through the undergrowth, making them quicken their pace.

They shouldered through, and onto a shocking scene.

"Hold still, Brightblossom!" Badgerstar grunted, then turned to his assembled warriors.