Unstuck

Why was he going to tell Raph? I really didn't need him to, I could just avoid him for a while. Now Raph was going to think I whined to Sensei like a baby to try to make things better for myself and get him in trouble. I didn't even mean to say everything I said! It just slipped out, I wanted to feel better and there were too many thoughts racing in my head for me to properly focus on what I was saying. No wonder everyone thought I was so smart yet so stupid, I had all these thoughts that no one else did, all this technical knowhow, but I let all of my thoughts get in the way of me doing anything even remotely intelligent. I just used big words to make myself feel smart so I could feel more like I was fulfilling my role in the family. I couldn't even run away or hide because I was stuck in my shell, so it was like the one thing that was supposed to protect me was putting me in even more danger. I couldn't help but begin to talk to myself about different things, I didn't even notice what I was saying; it must've been something stupid again, though. As Mikey walked by, he gave me a strange look and continued walking. But, noticing Mikey, I got an idea.

"Hey, Mikey! Wanna play a game? If you win, you get one of Raph's slices of pizza!" I smiled at him through my shell, putting on my best playful demeanor to make it seem more authentic.

"Sure! What's the game?" Good, he fell for it.

"Hide me somewhere and let's see if they can find me! It's like the world's hardest game of hide and seek since I'm smaller and in my shell, right? Plus, it'll show how much smarter you are than them!" I had to use every trick in the book to try to get this to work.

"I mean, yeah, that sounds like fun! But why do you wanna play this game? Didn't you already hide from everyone before?"

"Well, yeah, but this time, you're hiding me, so you'll know exactly where I am in case you get worried! But don't tell them where you hid me or give any hints, that'll make it too easy for them."

"Alright, do you have a spot in mind, Donnie?" He looked excited.

"In fact, I think I do! Just take me to my room and I'll show you where it is." He listened and pretty soon, we were in the safety of my own space again. "Now, you see that little spot by my bed? There's a painting there, move it." He moved it to reveal my hidden, secret exit. 

"Woahhhh, how'd you make this?"

"Don't get too surprised, it was already there." I laughed a bit at his amazement, he really did think I was smart. "Now, just put me in there, push me a little farther, cover me with that black blanket." It made it really hard to see me, so it was unlikely that they'd find me at that point. 

"I can barely see you, dude, how'd you figure out how to do this?"

"I'm a man of science and a ninja, it was only a matter of time before I found this. Now, close the painting and create little spots that look like I'm hiding there instead, alright? It'll trick them and make you win the game! And don't tell them it's a game, ok? It'll ruin the fun." He left pretty quickly after finishing his task and I was left alone with my thoughts again. I really didn't want to always hide, but I didn't want any more teasing from Raph, especially since I already knew that he was going to get mad at me for telling Sensei. After a while, I heard someone run into my room.

"Hey, Donnie! I found a way to get you out of your-... shell..." It was April! She'd found a way to help me and here I was, just hiding from her. "Donnie, where are you?" She walked around the room for a bit before leaving. I could hear everything from my hiding spot, it was perfectly situated, so I knew when she ran up to the majority of the group. Leo and Raph were still arguing, and I couldn't believe the argument had lasted for that long. I knew they were constantly upset with one another, but I didn't expect them to argue over taking care of me. They really didn't want to be around me apparently.